Chapter 43

A heavy atmosphere had fallen upon us, placing an invisible weight on our shoulders. The presence of sound had once again vanished as the air went eerie.

The underground prison was a long, dimly lit hallway that had cell rooms on both sides. The only sources of light were a few lamps that were hung on the crusty walls.

The newly arrived guest had her features cast over by a shadow, making the expression she had darker than it already was.

Standing in front of us was a woman with jet black hair cascading down her shoulders. Under those silky, dark strands were a pair of sharp eyes that held an icy glare.

Her long and thick lashes flickered with each blink, fluttering like butterflies beneath her perfectly shaped brows.

Intimidating was one way to describe her. She had no armour on, and her sacred weapon was in its accessory form, tucked neatly inside her pocket.

She didn't seem like someone who was here to commit the most horrendous punishments on us, but that murderous aura she brought with her said otherwise.

That death stare was what made us shrink.

Those long fingers that were curled up to form a fist were what made us put our guard up.

No hints were given to help me figure out what was going on inside that head of hers. Her reason for being here was unknown, and her lack of protective gear made it even more confusing.

This woman was known for being overly cautious, always careful with the decisions she made, and never forgetting to consider the consequences of her actions.

And yet she casually strolled into a room full of delinquents that rebelled against her.

Was it because she was confident in her strength? Or was it because she knew I'd never do anything to hurt her?

"Jennie Kim, what a pleasant surprise" I croaked out while glancing over at the other 3 to see how they were doing.

Momo was gripping on Dahyun's arm, making sure the latter won't do anything stupid out of anger. Tzuyu stood in front of them, shielding them from our visitor while positioning herself into a defensive stance.

"Pleasant, you say? You don't seem very pleased, though" Her little smirk showed how little of a threat we were to her.

I wanted to roll my eyes at that irritating display of cockiness. Is this how everyone feels when I let my overconfidence get the best of me?

Jennie and I were best friends who were joined together at the hip. We've known each other long enough to consider ourselves family.

I knew her like the back of my hand, while she knew me as if I was a book she's read over a thousand times.

We knew each other well enough to immediately know what the other was thinking about.

But at this very moment, we were unbalanced. She knew what kind of thoughts were filling my mind, she knew I was panicking, and she's fully aware I'm trying to figure out a way to escape through that open door.

And unlike her, I had no clue what she was planning to do. Her facial expression was unreadable, and her purpose of coming here wasn't something I could figure out right away.