Chapter 45

3rd Person POV

The speed of Tzuyu's huffs and puffs matched how fast her legs were going. Her strides were long and hurried, as if she'd drop dead if she slowed down for even a second.

She was out of breath and had lost count as to how many corners they've turned to. She's disliked the maze-like interiors of a palace ever since she was a child, it always made her head spin.

The grand staircase was longer than they thought. It took most of their energy when they climbed it, practically stealing all the air in their lungs.

They were currently on the 2nd floor, making their way to the next flight of stairs they had to go through before reaching their desired location.

"Tzu, wait! I can't breathe!" Chaeyoung panted out, sounding breathless as she staggered behind them.

The taller girl was about to stop and help, not until Momo suddenly hoisted the little giant up her shoulder and continued running.

"We can't afford to stop now, Chae!" The elf wiped the sweat running down her forehead with the back of her hand while speeding up.

Dahyun tossed Tzuyu a water bottle when she noticed the latter's dry and chapped lips. The irregular heaves of her chest were getting concerning, and Dahyun won't allow her to pass out in the midst of a crucial mission.

Tzuyu thanked her before pouring the contents down her parched throat. She wasn't surprised by how messily she was drinking it considering her current state.

It soaked her her clothes, but she didn't seem to mind the wetness around her collarbones and tossed the container back to Dahyun. She felt a little better and a little less dizzy now that she's hydrated.

They've encountered a few guards along the way. They popped up here and there and got sent to the ground as soon as they got close.

The girls were doing a great job at fending them off. The weaker guards lacked the strength to lay even the tiniest scratch, while the stronger guards were too afraid to harm the elf princess.

Their lives would be at stake if the Queen finds out her daughter, who's finally decided to come home after a year, was injured right inside the palace.

They didn't want to risk it and simply let the trainees pass after a quick bow and a brief apology for getting in the way.

"We're almost there!" Momo announced. Hearing that, the others felt a relieved smile tickle the corners of their mouth as another flight of stairs came into view.

But not even a minute into their relief, dismay came to trample all over their luck after black feathers suddenly rained from above.

Tzuyu instantly recognized them and felt her heart sink. "Fuck!" Upon sensing the malice charging towards them from behind, she quickly jumped on Momo just before the blade that was aiming for the princessly duo could slice them in half.

With wide eyes, Dahyun unsheathed her sword and blocked the incoming attack. The winged man snickered after seeing the pale girl struggle to push him away before flying backwards.

"Yo" Cipherio greeted. The large smirk on his face was as sickening as the last time Tzuyu saw it.

The latter got up, pulling Chaeyoung and Momo with her before pushing them behind her where Dahyun stood. She positioned herself into a defensive stance while pointing her weapon at him.