Chapter 38

3rd Person's POV

"Hey, there" Dilariel said while using Y/n's voice and appearance. "It's been a while, huh? 4 years, right?"

The duo remained silent and unmoving, unable to process what was happening. Jennie's eyes didn't leave the impostor's figure for even a second as she tried to analyze their current situation.

Even before Y/n L/n became a knight, Ciferio kept an eye on her and watched her grow into the woman she was now. He knew her like the back of his hand– what she liked, her habits, her mannerisms, practically everything.

He was a stalker who was always updated with what was going on in her life before her death. And since Ciferio shared his memories with Dilariel, the latter knew exactly how Y/n would act around the siblings after years of separation.

A smile that didn't look forced, a hint of longing in her eyes and a greeting that wouldn't make the whole situation a crying mess. Dilariel deserved an award for his perfect acting.

Taehyung was the first to move, pushing himself up to his feet before slowly approaching the impostor. "You're... Y/n, right?" His voice shook to the rhythm of his heart that refused to settle down.

His chest tightened the closer he got to the fake Y/n as his eyes flooded with tears. His breathing was unsteady, and his mind was full of all kinds of thoughts, both negative and positive. He felt like he was about to pass out any second now.

He reached his hand out, aiming for her arm to prevent her from escaping just in case this was another impostor. Taehyung wasn't stupid, the amount of times a fool had tried to disguise themselves as Y/n in order to trick them wasn't a small number.

It happened so often during the first year of her death, and every time someone was foolish enough to do it, Taehyung showed no mercy in punishing them.

Before he could grab her, the fake Y/n held his hand and rested it on her cheek. With the most deceiving look of yearning, the impostor spoke. "I'm home"

Those two words were all it took to make Taehyung's eyes turn into a waterfall of tears as he immediately pulled her into his arms. "You're alive... You're really here!" He let out a sob.

She smiled against his shoulder and caressed the back of his head, comforting him in the way the real Y/n would. "Sorry for the long wait"

He pulled his head back to connect their foreheads while cupping her cheeks. Tears kept spilling out of his eyes as he mumbled out countless apologies.

For 4 whole years, Taehyung blamed himself for his best friend's death. He carried the burden of his sin, and the weight in his heart grew heavier with each passing day.

No one had blamed him for it, not even his sister who adored Y/n and considered her a part of their family. And yet his mind was clouded with guilt over something he had no control over.

A few moments before Y/n's death, he got careless and almost got himself killed by a gigantic S-Class danger beast that tried to trample over him. However, Y/n pushed him away from harm's way and took the hit.