Chapter 40

"Yo, Nayeon" I greeted while rolling my shoulders. "What's gotten you so upset on a fine evening like this?"

Nayeon looked almost amused as she approached me with a challenging smirk. Her steps were light and graceful, yet the sound they made had echoed all throughout the neighbourhood we were in.

It was strange. It was still so early in the night, but there wasn't a single soul other than us around. There were no lights, no bustling noises, and no innocent people wandering the streets– a very obvious trap that I fell into.

I've fought Nayeon quite a lot in the past, and I'm proud to say she's one of my trickiest opponents. And as someone who's known her for years, I knew it would be plain stupid of me to underestimate her.

Right now, I'm not fighting her as the strongest knight in history, but as a mere trainee whose powers were sealed. I've gotten stronger thanks to my training sessions with Taeyeon, but I'm not so sure if I'm at the level where I can beat Nayeon in a fight.

Running away wasn't an option, Nayeon would definitely chase me down and catch up to me. And I can also feel Pluffy's presence somewhere in the shadows. Escaping was practically impossible.

"You're not going to run away?" She asked, her grip on Fflur tightening.

"Will you let me run away?"

"Of course I won't, I'm sure you're already aware of the reason why I'm here"

"No, not really" There could have been hundreds of reasons as to why she's here, but I didn't have the time to think about them when she launched herself forward.

The sound of our weapons colliding filled the quiet night. I immediately jumped away just before Fflur could pierce my eyes out.

"You're smart, so you'll figure it out along the way"

I clicked my tongue while blocking her sacred weapon from stabbing my chest before pushing it away. I raised my leg and attempted to kick her side, but she quickly jumped and drove her foot forward, hitting my face.

Wincing, I backed away once more and held my mask that received most of the damage. I can't have this breaking in the middle of a fight...

Nayeon ran to me, closing the distance between us in the blink of an eye. I dodged her fist and ducked just before her leg could knock me out.

She was swift and flexible. She could effortlessly bend her body in any direction to avoid my blade and stretch her limbs as much as they could in order to land a blow on me.

Her movements were hard to read, predicting her next attack became difficult the more she got serious. When she took notice of how much I had improved, she had stopped holding back and began fighting me as if this battle would decide her fate.

I was right about her being one hell of an opponent. She's barely giving me any chances to strike back and closes every opening I see.

I was keeping up with her, and she has yet to inflict any severe injuries, but I've only been defending ever since the battle started.