Chapter 23

"Granbell, I got a letter for you"

Y/n was peacefully eating a sandwich until sir Dice showed up with a sealed envelope in his hands. Everyone turned to her, circling her like the nosy brats they were.

If it was a letter for their top ranker, it was bound to be something huge. After escorting the fairy queen 2 months ago, she's been getting hundreds of invitations from knight orders to join them on missions.

Her name spread like wildfire among the knights. It was said that her senses were remarkable, she was the first to feel the malice in the air and was the first to run after the one-eyed titan. The best part was how she almost took it down all by herself.

Everyone expected her to graduate soon, so several knight orders have been making their moves in order to recruit her later on. Appealing to her was the best option. By showing how powerful they were, Y/n would end up joining them─ that was how everyone saw it.

"Dear, Y/n Granbell" She read, not really interested with the contents of the letter. She was going to reject the invitation just like what she did with the rest, so she wasn't expecting much. "Upon hearing your recent achievements, we have become greatly interested in seeing the height of your skills. Thus, we'd like to invite you on our mission to eliminate the drug that has been turning civilians into beastlings, Liquid D1"

Y/n took a quick pause to re-read what she was being invited to. Now she was starting to like where this was going. "If you are interested in joining us, then come to our headquarters when the mission begins. We shall await your response. Sincerely, the Midnight─"

For the first time in so long, Y/n choked on air before standing up in shock. "Sincerely, The Midnight Death Roses!?!"

She wasn't the only one surprised. Everyone else gasped and gathered around the letter to check if it was really from the legendary knight order.

"Th- This isn't a prank, is it?" Chaeyoung asked their instructor with disbelief in her eyes. She knew Y/n was acquainted with them, but she never expected Jeongyeon to ever invite a trainee to such an important mission.

The last one they went on was pretty understandable since all they had to do was patrol the palace. But now that even Jeongyeon was after Y/n, they couldn't just ignore this willy nilly. She wasn't merely assisting them, she was going to be thrown into the battlefield this time.

And she's going there alone, too. Since this was an execution mission, multiple knight orders will be gathered together to make the job easier. Y/n would be the only trainee in a horde of cocky and ruthless knights.

Not all knights are righteous and humble. They'll be working with a rookie who was climbing up the ranks like it was some kind of game, of course they'd try to show their superiority.

But really, Chaeyoung was worrying for nothing. After all, she still has no clue as to who is under that mask. Unlike last time, the only elite knights that will be there are Jeongyeon, Nayeon and Queen. The rest are regular knights, people Y/n can handle with her eyes closed.

"Of course it's not, it has Lady Yoo's signature at the bottom of the letter. The mission starts 3 days from now, so you have some time to prepare. Make sure you don't embarrass yourself and live up to that title of yours, Rising Star Y/n Granbell"

"Yes, sir!"

Acing the entrance exam, ranking first out of all the examinees, demolishing the training grounds, almost taking down a one-eyed titan and successfully protecting the fairy queen. All those achievements were what gave her the nickname Rising Star.