Just my luck

Seriously girl?....what have you done with your life? You're flat broke and got laid off for the 2nd time this month... I thought to myself sitting on the bottom steps of the apartment complex with my index finger pushing up the fold of my bottom lip.

The name's Bina. Bina Smith. 27 years old and can't keep a job to save my life. I've been told multiple times that it's my mouth that gets me into problems, and honestly, I won't sugarcoat it...it's the damn truth. My tolerance level for bullshit is pretty much nonexistent.

This incident in particular was slightly different. Someone was harassing my coworker and I stepped in. What was I supposed to do? Leave it alone? No. It's not in me to see someone in an uncomfortable position needing help and just turn a blind eye to it.

That stunt cost me my job...but it was worth it. Damn, bastard.

I took my phone out of my metallic pink fanny pack and checked the time. 3:13 pm. It was too early to go upstairs. I didn't want to. There were going to be questions that I absolutely did not want to answer. A one-sided argument that I was not going to win. More like the scolding of a lifetime. I've already had one this month and am definitely not ready for a second one.

Maybe I should say I'm on break...or I felt sick and left...or maybe the boss gave me the rest of the day off...YEAH! That should work!

I shot up and nearly fell face-first on the ground from nervousness. Took me a few seconds to collect myself. Shaking my arms and legs as if I was preparing for a fight.

You got this...

"Woman," said a female voice from behind me.

Shit!

I know that voice. I know that tone. My legs turned wobbly. Closing my eyes and biting my top lip like a child in trouble I let out a slow breath and turned around with a "normal" looking smile on my face. At least I tried to pass it off as normal.

Behold, standing at the top of the stairs is the only woman in the universe that can make me have a panic attack with just one word when angry. My best friend whom I consider my sister, Diane. This human being can see straight through me as if I was invisible. There's no point in lying to her, even though I still try to sometimes, but it never works out. She either laughs at me for my half-assed attempt or straight up gives me the death stare. I only "attempt" to just so she doesn't curse my stupid ass whenever I do some dumb shit. Either way, I can never lie to her, and the same goes for her, she stutters over simple words when she tries to lie. We know each other to an extremely deep extent.

"Yes, Miss Clark," I said still smiling. My heart started beating so loud I could hear it.

"Watchu doin' here?" she asked smiling back. She looked really nice. Black crop top with the word 'Savage' written in gold on the front and attached to it was a body chain. High-waisted, long, dark blue jeans and matte black knee high stripper like boots with gold buckles going up the sides. To top off the look, a denim handbag, burgundy matte lipstick with matching eyeshadow and subtle hints of gold highlights, and a slick high ponytail. One thing I can say for sure, she knows how to make heads turn when she's going out. This looks damn good.

"Damn you look..." I started to say but she cut me off.

"Absolutely gorgeous I know. Now answer me."

"Well..."

"Don't lie either." She cut me off again.

Death stare. That damn stare. I hate it.

"Umm...well you see..."

"I ain wanna hear no 'umm well you see' shit. Answer my damn question." Her smile was gone now. I know she knew, and I know she's vexed. So, I inhaled a deep breath through my teeth retaining my smile, and responded with my eyes closed.

"I got fired."

Here it comes. All the questions, the scolding...God, she 'bout to curse my ass clean out.

"I knew it. Who did you backtalk this time? Right now you gone and..." Her words cut short and I heard heavy fast paced footsteps coming down the stairs. When I opened my eyes she was directly in front of me examining my shirt with a concerned look on her face.

Damn girl did you fly down the stairs? In those shoes too? I mean I'm impressed, but how in the actual hell did you manage to not break your ankles or land on your face? If you did drop I would have laughed like hell though. Pick you up afterward of course. Add a comedic twist to my day...More importantly, whatchu lookin' at? I dress funny or something?

"What?" I asked but got no response. She yanked my arms and examined them quickly, then grasped my cheeks with both hands frantically turning my head in every direction possible. It scared me a little. "What?! What's wrong?"

She looked me dead in my eyes with concern and a hint of fear, "Bee.... whose blood is this?"