Starting over

A few days had passed, and so far everything has been going smoothly. Suspicious. By now I've received thousands of messages and calls from June and the other workers thanking me for what I had done as well as asking if I was ok. To put it simply, June isn't a fighter. She hates confrontations and is an absolute sweetheart. Me on the other hand, I have a smart mouth and a short temper. I'd throw down with anyone. Call it a built-up defense mechanism, but it was most definitely needed. Years of being a pushover triggered something inside of me I guess. Since then, I became a whole different person. Kind of a gym rat, and also took lots of self-defense and fighting classes. I just about train every day.

Come on Bina, get up off your lazy ass and go to the gym already. 

Today, however, I didn't feel like it. At all. I still got up and made breakfast of toast, eggs, and peanut butter, avocado, and chocolate smoothie. After a lot of convincing in the mirror I managed to take a shower, put my braids in a bun, put on my black sports bra, stirrup leggings, and workout sneakers, grabbed an extra t-shirt, fanny pack with my phone, keys, wallet, chapstick and wireless headphones and headed out to my car. Yes, I own a car. A 1967 Chevrolet Impala of course. I'm a huge dork for the show Supernatural and always wanted to own one from the first time I had watched the show. Although in the show Dean names the car Baby, I decided to name my car Dean. I got it pretty close to the exact replica as much as I could, except for inside the trunk. The inside of the car is completely bombarded with anime things. From stickers to plushies to bobbleheads, and of course, I love it. I learned to drive at 12 and was introduced to driving manual at 17. Needless to say, I can handle both pretty well and drive large vehicles too. There's one problem, I have the urge to try and do donuts or drift in every vehicle I drive. Have I tried it with every vehicle? Yes. Was I successful every time? No. One day I'll get it though. 

Traffic's not too bad today. I hope the gym's empty. I hate going when there are lots of people. Everyone either stares or talks about me...well that's what it feels like. Maybe I'll do simple stuff today. Probably the fixed pull-down machine, chest press, overhead press, bicep curls, and triceps extensions. Four sets of twelve sound good. Maybe I should bench press...

Nearly there and I already feel like I'm being seen. I've been job hunting and applying to a lot of places, restaurants, bars, clubs, warehouses, gas stations, you name it. I don't like office jobs at all. It's boring. You answer calls and deal with paperwork and computers, meetings, and such, it's not my style. I don't even own an 'office suit', it's just that bad. 

Pulling into the parking lot, there are lots of cars. 

Great. It's loaded. And I can already hear them saying 'here comes the muscle-bound chick with the impala that bench presses 180 with ease.' Sure it's probably just only me thinking that but I can't be the only one that feels watched when I enter the gym.

I parked, grabbed my fanny pack, put on some chapstick, threw my shirt over my shoulder, locked the car, and headed inside. Greeted some people as I walked in and went over to a clear spot, set up my LoFi music and timer, and did some warm-up stretching and exercises. I headed over to one of the fixed pull-down machines, got set up, and started my reps. Each time taking about one minute rests in between. 

Last set then it's on to chest presses.

My phone started ringing in the middle of the last set. 

"Great. Now what?" I tapped the button on my headset without checking my phone. "Hello."

"Hello, is this Bina Smith?" said the lady on the other end of the phone call.

"Yes ma'am that's me." Still working out.

"Perfect. My name is Devorah, I'm with Livestone Industries and we've received multiple applications from you to work as an extra on our movie set Money Scandal."

My heart jumped and I almost let go of the bar. "Yes-yes, that's correct." Slowly I returned the bar to the resting position and got up nearly out of breath.

"Alright. Judging by the number of applications I'm seeing here, I can tell that you're a big fan of Minjun."

I chuckled nervously, "Haaaaa, I guess you got me there." 

Diane! You freak of nature! How many did you send? But shit...it worked? I think I might pass out.

"Honestly, I don't blame you. Now's your cha.......ma'am are you alright?"

"Yes of course! Pardon my breathing, I didn't mean to scare you if I did. You caught me in the middle of a workout. The fixed pull-down machine... I'm a gym rat."

Stop talking! She doesn't need to know that. God, I hope this call isn't recorded, I sound like I'm being chased by tigers.

I face-palmed myself so hard it echoed through the gym. Too bad for who heard or saw.

"Oh, well I apologize for interrupting your session."

"It's fine, no worries," I assured her.

"Alrighty. So I take it you're interested in working with us?"

"Yes, I most certainly am."

"Perfect. We have the documents that you have submitted. We'll run a background check just to make sure and I'll email you the dates, times, and locations of the shooting. Here's your chance to be in the same movie as the famous Minjun. Who knows, he might even say hello to you. He's awfully nice."

"Oh wow. Thank you so much for this opportunity!" Feels like I can barely breathe.

"You're very welcome Ms. Smith. Have a wonderful day and do enjoy the rest of your workout."

"Thank you. You have the best day as well!" I choked out. 

"Ha Ha, thank you!" she giggled and there was the click of the phone hanging up. The music slowly resumed to its original sound level.

You idiot! 'You have the best day as well'? How did you sound? No wonder she laughed! She thinks you're a giddy little fan girl. Speaking of fan girl...Diane!

I dove onto the ground and grabbed my phone off the shirt, and immediately dialed Diane's number. The phone rang.

Pick up, woman! Pick up! Pick up dammit!

There was a click. "Hola chika." 

"Gyal guess what?!" I blurted out scrambling off the floor. My braids fell out of the bun and dangled in front of my face with some landing in my mouth. I forcefully spat it out making weird noises while I tried to grab my shirt and fanny pack off the floor. 

"What's that noise?" she asked.

"I just ate hair. Anyways .....listen here-" I started.

"Ah-ah don't tell me...You got the movie gig didn't you?"

"Bitch yes!" I shouted while running for the door.

"Yes, bitch! I told you so didn't I?"

"Omg! I'm leaving the gym. Where you is? I gotta come to you now!"

I ran to my car and opened the door, started the engine before even closing the door or putting on my seatbelt.

"I'm at the Coral Cafe". She was squealing with pure joy.

"Alright see you in 5," I said grinning.

"5? Woman, I'm like 15 minutes away from you."

"Like I said ...5"

"No, woman, no drifting through traffic or speeding!"

"Ha haaaa!" I revved the engine loudly. "See ya soon." 

Click.