Love Isn't Enough [JiTzu]

Jihyo x Tzuyu

Chou Tzuyu had always been strangely unpredictable and wild.

Her mother claimed that when she was born, she screamed. The truth is that she has screamed her entire life. Sometimes in anger, sometimes in fear, and sometimes in delight. She's always been in the middle of a storm, managing the multitudes within her.

Tzuyu had no friends for a long time. Her only playmates were her dogs. Park Jihyo moves in with a foster family across the street when she was fourteen. Tzuyu watched her from her bedroom window and thought she was the most beautiful girl she'd ever seen. She had no idea why.

Since they became friends, Jihyo has been sleeping over several nights a week. They talk until dawn, cuddled under Tzuyu's bedsheets, and Jihyo, for some reason, makes her feel awake. Tzuyu had once heard her humming, but it wasn't the same. She hummed in pain. It radiated from her, spreading into Tzuyu's worries since she didn't know how to take it away.

Jihyo kisses Tzuyu after school one day in their backyard. Tzuyu read one of her poems to Jihyo, who leans in and tells her she likes it, as Jihyo's fingers tangle with Tzuyu's.

The younger girl told her she was her favorite person on the planet. Jihyo instantly cups Tzuyu's face, making her feel warm. Jihyo kisses her slowly, and Tzuyu thought she died inside for a minute. They stayed like that all afternoon in the autumn sunset, discovering each other's depths. Jihyo kissed her like she'll never get the chance again.

~

Jihyo began dating Hirai Momo when they were juniors. In Tzuyu's case, it was really painful. She doesn't mean emotionally, because it's been physically painful for months. To be exact, seven months and twenty-three days.

Tzuyu watched them together after Momo's basketball games. She was enraged, but she had to remind herself that Jihyo was never hers to begin with.

When she remembered Jihyo smiling at her, she shivered. Tzuyu sometimes thinks she just smiles for her. Momo, on the other hand, couldn't have her like she can since Momo has never prioritized Jihyo.

"I can treat you better than she can, Ji, if you only allow me." Tzuyu stated sincerely.

"I-I can't talk about that right now. Could we just talk about something else, please?"

Jihyo's voice cracked slightly, and Tzuyu respected her wishes, so she doesn't bring it up again. Even if she wants to, she badly wants to give Jihyo what she deserves. Someone who will unconditionally love her, not someone who doesn't care about her. Momo favored her friends over Jihyo, lying about her whereabouts only to go clubbing, and she never tried to get to know her. Tzuyu stepped back and saw it all happen.

They eventually break up in the spring, and Tzuyu can breathe again.

Jihyo was working a shift at a café when Tzuyu walked in, all sleek and proper. They hadn't expected to run into each other after not speaking since Jihyo's breakup. Will fate ever allow them to be together?

~

Jihyo was accepted to Harvard University on a scholarship since she had the highest GPA in their high school. Tzuyu was so proud of her that she burst into tears for the first time in public.