daddy duties

Hearing the curtain move behind her, Liv turned to see who was interrupting her shower.

"Poopy, mommy!"

Olivia sighed, looking down to find her own eyes, on a little person's body, peering up at her.

"Fuck," she muttered under her breath, hoping the word wouldn't register in her eighteen month old's brain.

Sienna sat down on the floor of the shower and tugged at the side of her pamper, attempting to get it off.

"No, no, no, baby girl. Not in here," she rushed over, scooping up her child in one arm and grabbing her towel with the other, struggling to wrap her towel around her body as Sienna squirmed in her arms.

"Help me out SiSi, stay still," Olivia finally got her towel secured and marched out of her master bath, through her bedroom and down the stairs.

Entering the living room, she grabbed the remote from the console behind the couch and pressed the off button. Silence took over the room.

"Hey," Jordan whined as the game disappeared from the TV.

"WOAH HEY, a warning is appreciated," Jordan shielded his eyes as his sister came around to stand in front of them, still dripping from her shower, and deposited the child in Spencer's lap.

"This is yours."

Not caring to hear his excuse, Olivia stormed away before Spencer had a chance to form a response.

"Dada," Sienna turned her wide eyes up at her father, "poopy!" A grin broke out as she placed her little palm on Spencer's cheek.

"Yikes," Jordan laughed at Spencer.

"YOU HAD ONE JOB," Olivia yelled from halfway up the stairs.

"Yikes," he mumbled again, "looks like it's time for me to head out."

"Glad I don't have to live with that anymore," Jordan clapped his hand on Spencer's shoulder and headed towards the door.

"Dada's in trouble," Spencer sighed, picking up his daughter and heading over to the playroom.

"Oh no," Sienna frowned.

In the playroom, Spencer placed Sienna down on the changing table and pulled out wipes and a fresh pamper. Once she was all cleaned up, he brought out her stuffed animals, keeping her distracted so that Olivia could enjoy some more child-free time. 

Sitting down to keep an eye on her, Spencer knew he messed up. Sunday's were Olivia's day to relax and take care of herself. They had an agreement. Spencer kept Sienna entertained and fed while Olivia enjoyed a few hours completely child-free.

Most days, Sienna and Olivia were attached at the hip. Whichever way Olivia walked, Sienna followed. 

Going to get the mail? Sienna came along. 

Working in her office? Sienna had a mini desk to "work" beside her.

Taking a bathroom break? Little eyes stared at her through the crack in the door while she peed.  

Sienna was her mother's shadow. And having a permanent shadow got exhausting. 

Motherhood was hard, and Spencer knew the toll that it took on Olivia. To relieve some of the stress, he took over more household chores. In the evenings, after practice, Spencer built blanket forts, colored with crayons, and played with puppets to give Liv a break.

Looking over from his spot on the rocking chair, Spencer noticed Sienna struggling to keep her eyes open. Carefully, he picked her up, and her arms instinctively wrapped around his neck.