mini me pt. iii

Spencer James opened up the front door of his home to yet another one of his daughter's male... associates. When exactly his baby girl started interacting with so many men, he wasn't sure, but per his wife's request, he was going to keep it calm, cool, and collected.

"Hi Mr. James."

Unlike the other, this one was tall and lean. Clearly a dancer. Spencer nodded, like a calm, cool, and collected dad would. "Julian, right?"

"Yes, sir." And after twenty seconds of mildly uncomfortable silence, the teen continued. "Um, Sienna didn't answer the phone, but Mrs. James said I could stop by to drop this off. She let me in the gate." Spencer's eyes fell to the phone charger in the boy's hands. "Sienna forgot it at rehearsal this afternoon."

Spencer let out a grunt, and Julian shifted his weight to his right foot then back to his left. Between them, the charger remained unclaimed in his extended palm.

They stood there until a flurry of steps rushed through the foyer.

"Hey Jules!" Unlike her thumb, digging into the back of his neck, Olivia's voice was sweet. Her other hand reached for the cable, saving them both, but mostly Julian, from this tense meet cute. "Thank you so much for bringing this over. How's your mom doing?"

The men visibly relaxed.

"She's doing great, Mrs. James. She really appreciated those flowers you sent for her birthday."

A grin stretched across Olivia's face. "I'm so glad."

Julian nodded, regaining his confidence in the presence of Spencer's better half. "Well, it's getting late. I need to get home. I just wanted to drop that off in case Si needed it."

Olivia stepped around Spencer to give the teen a hug, leaving her husband dumbfounded and confused. "Get home safely."

Julian gave Spencer a short wave, to which the ex-football player returned a curt nod, before clapping his hands together and stepping back. "Bye Mr. James. It was nice to see you again."

Leaning her head on Spencer's shoulder, Olivia watched and waited until the teen was safely back in his car and driving through their front gate. "He's so sweet." Smiling, she closed the front door and turned to face her husband.

"Jules?" An eyebrow went up. "Si?"

Olivia remained nonchalant. "They've known each other for years, baby. He's a good kid."

Spencer continued to stare at his wife, unimpressed.

"You could have talked to him," she teased, "he doesn't bite."

Spencer crossed arms, even less impressed. "I didn't know you were all buddy, buddy with Jules."

Olivia straightened. "First of all, relax. And second of all, I'm not all buddy, buddy with him. They've been dancing at the same studio since they were kids, and I got to know him a little better since he and Sienna had their duet. Though," she wandered off mindlessly, "I do think he has a little crush on her."

Eyes widened, and she knew that those last few words had ruined her case. "If it makes it any better, if anything, it's puppy love. And, she only sees him as a friend," Olivia added, sliding her arms around his tense neck. "I may have pried a little."

His head found its place in the crook of his neck, and he relaxed.

"You're going to have to work on this alpha male thing you got going on. Sienna isn't your prop—"

He pulled away to cock an eyebrow. "Really, Liv?"

"One day, she's going to move out, and maybe get engaged, married, pop out a couple kids."