the newlyweds

"It's so nice to have you two here," Laura smiled at her daughter.

"It's nice to be here," Olivia looked over, squinting against the bright sun.

"It's been kind of lonely with just your father and I," Laura went on. "I know he misses having you and your brother around, so you and Spencer are the next best thing. Well, Spencer is officially his son now."

"Well, we're having a great time," Olivia lied, knowing with one hundred percent certainty that one half of the we did not want to be staying at the Beverly Hills house. 

It was just a couple days since they arrived from their honeymoon to discover that the renovations at their new home weren't complete. Having no where to go, they decided to stop by to see Olivia's parents. Then one thing led to the next, and Laura and Billy were insisting they stay here instead of getting a hotel.

"So tell me. How was the honeymoon? Did you guys like enjoy the Amalfi Coast?"

"No, yeah, we loved it," Olivia nodded at her drink.

"Did you guys go on that boat tour I recommended?"

"Ummm, you know, we didn't get the chance. Apparently, we needed a reservation, and by the time we tried, it was all booked up," Olivia rambled.

"That's a shame, what did you guys end up seeing instead?"

"We, um, we... saw the water," Olivia stuttered, "and, the food. The food was amazing. Lots of pasta, yeah."

"Ah," Laura caught on. "I guess it's been a while since my honeymoon."

"Mhm," Olivia uttered quickly, hoping that would be the end of this particular topic.

"Your father and I didn't do much either now that I think about it," Laura mused.

"Mom," Olivia groaned, sliding down lower in her lounge chair.

"As long as you two had fun," the mother shrugged, "I'm happy."

"Yup, we did," Olivia gave her a tight-lipped smile.

"Maybe too much fun and I'll become a grandmother sooner than I expected," Laura gazed out to the pool. She tilted her head. "I think I'm okay with that."

"No grandchildren yet," Olivia replied confidently.

"You never know. By the sound of it, we may be in for a surprise in nine months."

"Okay, this... has been lovely," Olivia stood, grabbing her drink and phone, "but I'll see you for dinner, yeah?"

A couple miles away, Spencer leaned his weight on his golf club while his new father-in-law took his sweet time practicing his swing.

"You guys are being safe, right?" Billy called out louder than necessary.

"Shit," Spencer muttered, looking over his shoulder to see if anyone was nearby. "Um," he cleared his throat, "yes sir."

"I expect no funny business with my daughter."

"I wouldn't think of it."