going slow

not what the ppl have been asking for, but still a fun little scene imo 🙄

_____

Tapping her spoon against her bowl of cereal, Patience watched Spencer jog down the stairs with a duffle bag in hand. "I thought you two were taking it slow or whatever. It's been like one week."

He dropped his stuff by the bottom step and strolled into the kitchen, heading straight for the fridge. He pulled out two cups of greek yogurt, a pack of blueberries, and a tub of Irish butter. From the pantry came a bottle of honey, chia seeds, and a loaf of bread. He dropped two slices into the toaster before turning to address his audience. "We are."

Coop quirked an eyebrow. "You've slept here for the past three nights. What about that says slow?"

"We're taking our time getting to know each other."

"Well it's been sounding like y'all know each other plenty well."

Patience scrunched her face and mumbled at her soggy cheerios. "I was good without that information."

"You ain't hear it?!"

Spencer pulled out two plates, dropped a slice of toast on each, and swiped the butter on before they got cold. Unbothered by the exasperation, he took his time scooping out the yogurt, stirring in the chia seeds and delicately placing the blueberries on top. The whole time Coop stared at him with a blank face, dumbfounded by the man her childhood best friend had become in a matter of days.

"I'm just asking—"

Spencer cut her off. "Are you complaining?"

"I'm just saying my quality of sleep has gone down significantly since Liv got back," Coop said.

"Oh, my bad. Let me just call up the landlord and tell her you... oh, wait." Spencer squinted an eye as he drizzled just the right amount of honey onto the second bowl. "She don't seem to mind."

"Man, Liv doesn't own this house."

He snapped the bottle closed. "Aight. Let's see what happens when I tell Liv—"

"Tell Liv what?" Olivia asked, yawning as she shuffled into the kitchen still in her pajamas. No one answered until she came up behind Spencer and sleepily dropped her head on his shoulder.

Spencer tilted his head to give her a kiss. "Good morning."

"Good morning," she mumbled, pursing her lips for more.

One kiss turned into two, then four, each one longer than the last. As they grew louder, Patience gagged into her bowl.

"What were you guys saying?" Olivia asked again, finally pulling away and winding her arms around her boyfriend's neck. Her fingers dipped into his collar and her fingertips grazed along his chest.

Spencer started between mouthfuls of yogurt. "Coop was just saying that—"

"Coop wants the recipe for the yogurt parfait," Patience interjected.

Olivia furrowed her eyebrows, but didn't question it. She let go of Spencer and reached for her breakfast. "It's not that hard. Spencer can make you one if you want."

Coop pulled away from the Patience's gaze. "I already ate, but maybe tomorrow." She forced a wide smile. Sarcasm dripped from her voice. "It just looks so delicious."

"He makes them the best." Olivia smiled, picking up her toast and looking back to her boyfriend. "Are you leaving?"

Spencer scooped the last spoonful into his mouth and snagged the toast to go. "Yeah, I got a receivers meeting in an hour. I gotta get there early to talk to the new guys."

"Okay. Drive safe." She followed him into the foyer, accepting one final kiss before he turned to go. "I love you."

"Love you, too, baby."

Then the house went silent.

Coop turned to Patience once Olivia's steps had faded into her room. "What was that for?"

Patience rolled her eyes, dumping the last of the milk down the drain and slotting her bowl into the dishwasher. "Sorry for trying to keep a roof over your head."