mile high

"And then Jordan took Simone mini golfing! Everybody knows she hates mini golfing," Olivia said as she power walked through the terminal at LAX, Spencer trying to keep up beside her.

"Mhm."

"Like how do you date someone for three? four? However many years and not know how to pick a date spot?" she went on, exasperated.

Finding them a seat at their gate, Olivia rolled her suitcase in front of the chair and sat down, propping her legs up on her luggage.

"Jordan can be so dense sometimes. Don't you think?"

"I don't - " Spencer tried, not getting a chance to finish his statement.

"And it was their anniversary!" she exclaimed, her voice getting louder, "I honestly don't know what goes through that man's head sometimes."

Spencer adjusted himself in his seat, trying to get comfortable.

"Nothing! That's what."

After another fifteen minutes of Olivia venting to their gate about her brother's failed date night, the airline attendant began to call their boarding group.

"Babe, that's us," Olivia turned to Spencer, gathering her purse and taking his backpack while she was at it. 

"I can carry that," Spencer caught up with her in line.

"No, it's fine. I got it. And so then, Simone FaceTimed me the next day and told me she tried to talk to him."

"Boarding pass?"

Olivia held her phone up to the scanner. "Babe, your boarding pass," she turned to Spencer who was already scanning after her.

As they walked through the aisle towards their row, Spencer followed Olivia, keeping his gaze steady in front of him.

"And that's why they almost cancelled their flights," she huffed, finishing her story as she fell back into her seat.

Next to her, Spencer carefully shuffled into the row, moving the seatbelt out of the way before sitting down.

"You good babe? You've barely said anything since we got out of the Uber," she turned to him, finally paying him some attention.

"Yea, I'm good," he mumbled, buckling himself in.

Shifting in her seat, she wrapped her arm through his, finding a comfortable spot on his shoulder. "You're so tense," she squirmed against him.

"Sorry," he took a deep breath, attempting to relax.

"Wait....," she pulled away, noticing his knee bouncing anxiously, "are you scared of flying?"

"Nah," he tried to sound natural.

"You are," she stared at him with an incredulous look on her face, "why didn't you tell me?"

"It's not a big deal," he brushed her off.

"It's okay to admit it," she laughed, intertwining her fingers with his, bring his hand onto her lap, "just think about all the fun we're going to have. That'll take your mind off it."

It was their sophomore year spring break, and they were headed to Cabo where they would meet up with Jordan and Simone. And since it was their first international trip together, Olivia planned the week down to a tee. She booked them a waterfront Airbnb with their own private pool and scheduled a different water activity for each day.

As the plane picked up speed on the runway, Spencer's grip tightened on Olivia's hand. Knowing he was stubborn and didn't want to verbalize his fears, she stroked her thumb along the back of his hand.

Once the plane reached flying altitude, the flight attendant came by with drinks and snacks. By that time, Spencer had relaxed enough to doze off on her shoulder.

"Pretzels?" the flight attendant offered.

"Yes, please. And can I get an extra snack for my boyfriend?" Olivia whispered to the attendant, carefully tilting around Spencer, "he's scared of flying."

_____________________________________

A quick scene that crossed my mind while I was on the plane earlier this week lol.