pretty lights

"How does this look baby girl?" Spencer called over his shoulder to Sienna.

"No daddy," his daughter squinted from her mini fold out chair on the driveway. A baseball cap rested on her head, protecting her from the LA sun, "not there."

"You sure?" Spencer called back disappointed. They had been here for over an hour, and no matter where he placed the blow up reindeers, Sienna wasn't satisfied.

"Rudolph first," Sienna explained, changing her preference for the fifth time that afternoon.

"Which one is Rudolph again?" Spencer asked, wiping the back of his hand along his forehead. Even in December, it was a particularly warm day out.

"That one," Sienna pointed before grabbing another blueberry from her bowl and crossing her tiny legs.

"You take after your mother, you know that?" Spencer shook his head as he walked across the yard, moving the Rudolph reindeer to the front, "what about now?"

"Perfect, daddy," Sienna gave him a toothy grin.

Just as he got his hard earned approval, Olivia walked out of the house in her long sundress and slippers.

"Why don't you just hire someone to do this?" Olivia stood by their front door, her squint mirroring Sienna's.

Spencer rolled his eyes at his wife. Every once in a while, her Beverly Hills upbringing came through strong in her suggestions.

"We need to teach her that not everything in life just magically appears in front of you," Spencer lectured, "back in Crenshaw, me and moms used to hang up our lights every year. There was no handyman, but we got it done. Plus, it's a good bonding experience."

"Your call," Olivia shrugged, disregarding his speech.

"It's good for her to see hard work pay off. Look at her, she's spoiled. Hasn't moved from that chair all afternoon."

"She looks comfortable to me," Olivia looked over at her baby, leaning back in her chair. At four years old, she had not a care in the world. "You good, SiSi?"

Not moving from her position, Sienna nodded at the sun.

"See, she's good," Olivia gestured towards their daughter. "She's four, let her live," she called as she turned to go back inside.

Walking over to Sienna, Spencer crouched in front of her, leaning forward for a kiss, "gimme some."

"Here, daddy," Sienna's chubby fingers offered him her last blueberry.

"Thank you, baby," he opened his mouth, taking the fruit.

Granting himself a break, he laid out next to his little girl. As spoil as she was, he wouldn't have it any other way. He had worked hard to make it out of Crenshaw, and his current life was a testament of his effort.

The break didn't last long though. After fifteen minutes, sticky fingers pulled him out of his thoughts.

"Not done, daddy," Sienna's big eyes looked down at him from her chair.

"Okay, but this time you're going to help. Bring me the hammer," Spencer asked, walking over to the ladder.

"This one?" Sienna pointed at the only tool close to her.

"That's it."

Spencer watched as she crouched down, using both hands to lift the tool. Once she had a firm grip, she waddled over, leaning backwards slightly to manage the weight.

"Thank you," Spencer took the hammer from her, rewarding her with a kiss on the cheek.

"Enough," she huffed, announcing the end of her contributions for the day.

Spencer laughed as she went back to her chair, checking her bowl for more fruit before running inside yelling for her mom.

For the rest of the afternoon, Spencer hung the string lights along the front of their house, grateful Sienna didn't have any more opinions.

Quickly getting bored of being inside, Sienna  came back out with her coloring books, scribbling away while Spencer strung the sparkly lights.

_____

Later that evening, Olivia called Sienna to come downstairs for them to go walk around the neighborhood and admire the decorated houses.

Hearing the rushing footsteps, Olivia warned, "slow on the stairs."

"Okay, mommy," Sienna grabbed hold of the railing with both hands, making sure to put both feet on each step before moving down to the next.

Once she made it down safely, the three of them headed out the door, stopping by the neighbor's house to pick up Sienna's BFF Tess.

Enjoying the cool night, the four of them strolled down the sidewalk of their neighborhood, Olivia and Spencer walked hand in hand while Sienna and Tess alternated between skipping and walking in front of them.

"Look at this one SiSi," Olivia pointed out a house that had a Santa Claus climbing up the side.

"It's Santa," Tess giggled to Sienna as they paused to crane their necks up at the house.

Cupping her hands, Sienna whispered loudly at Tess, "my daddy did lights on my house."

"Wow," Tess turned to her wide-eyed.

"And I help," Sienna nodded enthusiastically.

Listening to their conversation, Spencer shook his head as Olivia brought her hands up to his face. "She appreciates your work," Olivia smiled, holding back a giggle.

Spencer feigned annoyance, tilting his head to look at his daughter chatting away with her friend.

Looking back at Olivia, he stepped forward to give her a kiss.

"That's your twin," Spencer laughed, "just wait until I have one on my side."

______________________________________

One last piece of holiday fluff before I go work on a more serious chapter for the other book 🙃

And hello to all the new followers. there were so many new ppl in the past few days!! tysm for all the votes, comments, and reading list adds on my stories, I always appreciate the love 🥺