big milestones

Sitting on a bar stool, Spencer stared down at the marble countertop. The sides of his hands pressed against the cool stone, fingers interlaced, thumbs circling each other with nervous energy.

A couple minutes ago, his wife had suggested, or more accurately, demanded that he take a seat and relax. He looked up at her. How could she be so calm?

As if nothing out of the ordinary were going on, she floated back and forth from the freezer to the counter. Her perfectly threaded eyebrows scrunched up as she focused on preparing their smoothies.

"You want protein in yours?" she looked up to ask. Catching him staring, she smiled.

"Not today," he replied.

Her smile didn't fall. "Okay."

Again, Spencer couldn't understand how she was so... at peace.

While the loud noise of the blender took over, Spencer eyed her breasts, slightly overflowing out of her blue triangle bikini. Just below them, the slightest bump protruded from her usually flat stomach. Most people hadn't seen yet since the pregnancy was still easy to hide, but when it was just them two, it was hard to find her with a proper shirt on.

"How can you just stand there and pretend nothing's happening?"

Coming around the counter, she placed a full glass in front of him. "Because nothing crazy is happening."

He let out a sigh as she wrapped her arms around the back of his shoulders. Her warm lips pressed along the side of his face. Pregnancy had her exceptionally clingy. And while most days, he was completely receptive to it. Today, he had bigger things on his mind.

"I'm gonna go out there," he stood abruptly.

"Spencer." She managed to grasp onto his elbow and her fingers slid down his forearm until she had a secure hold on his wrist. "Last time you did that, you kind of messed everything up."

"No, I didn't," he shot back defensively.

"Yes... you did." Tilting her head, she sat on his stool.

"It's too soon," he shook his head.

"It is not too soon, baby. This is when they recommend doing it."

"Who is they?" He arched his eyebrow.

"The doctors, my parents, people I've talked to. I don't know. The internet!"

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet, Liv."

Olivia's shoulders slumped, and she gave him a look. It was as if she hadn't just listed three other credible sources.

She tugged on his arm, pulling him closer. When she had him within reach, she pressed her lips against his bare chest. "Relax, it's almost over," she mumbled between kisses.

He let out a shaky breath.

Then just as he began to follow her advice, the sound of the glass door sliding open broke the silence, and he perked up.

"Stay," she whispered. Her grip on his arm kept him strapped in place. For his sake, she hid her own excitement.

A high pitched voice rang out through the hall. "Daddy! Mommy!"

Spencer threw his head over his shoulder while Olivia peered around his waist with a wide grin on her face.

"I fwoated," Sienna yelled as she came around the corner. Her tiny feet raced towards them.

"Careful, baby," Olivia warned. Tiny droplets of water fell from the toddler's still wet curls. "No running."

"That's incredible!" Spencer exclaimed, scooping her up and brushing the bear-shaped hood of her towel off of her head. Their daughter beamed as his lips descended onto her forehead.

"I'm so proud, mama," Olivia joined in, grabbing onto her daughter's foot and shaking it. Bashfully, Sienna dug her head into her father's neck.

"Can daddy see?" Spencer lowered his head to look at his suddenly shy daughter.

Though the answer may have seemed obvious, the question was well within reason. After spending the entirety of the first session hovering along the edge of the pool, he had been banned from swim lessons for the foreseeable future. He didn't help his case when he barged out on the next one "just to make sure she wasn't panicking."

"She's all yours," the instructor smiled as she strolled in a few moments later. Giving Sienna a proud look, she added, "she did amazing today. Our girl will be swimming like a champ in no time."

"Thank you," Olivia smiled as she got up to walk Nicole out. "We really appreciate your help."

"Oh, Sienna's the sweetest."

"You haven't seen her in one of her moods," Olivia laughed as she opened the front door.

After confirming the next lesson at the same time following Saturday, the two women said their goodbyes, and Olivia closed the front door. By the time she strolled back through the house, the kitchen had been abandoned. Walking down the hall towards the living room, she could already hear the sounds of splashing water.

The second she stepped out into the hot sun, her daughter was calling out for her attention. "Look, mommy!"

In the pool, Sienna kicked her little legs as she got into position then held still.

"No touching!" the two and a half year old yelled, swatting away at Spencer's lingering hands.

After catching a stern look from Olivia, he hesitantly stepped back, letting his daughter float freely.

"Very good, SiSi," Olivia exclaimed.

Before joining them in the pool, Olivia set the forgotten smoothies on the table and picked up her daughter's neon pink life vest. The two year old would get bored of floating real soon, and Olivia knew she would want to play freely.

In less than five minutes, Olivia proved herself right.

Strapped up, Sienna flung herself off the edge of the pool before wading over to the steps and repeating the routine all over again. Meanwhile, Olivia found her spot in Spencer's arms as he relaxed against the wall.

"How about we put this next baby in lessons at one year?" Olivia teased.

"I was thinking I'd do better with three or four," he shot back playfully. Squeezing her ass under the water, he bit into her neck, and Olivia let out a loud shriek that was quickly followed by laughter.

Not one to miss out on the fun, Sienna deserted her game of "jumping" and quickly made her way to them.

"Let me in," their daughter pleaded, shoving her hands between her parents' stomachs. The water and her bulky floaty made it harder for her to crawl between them like she normally would.

Unwrapping one arm from his shoulder, Olivia smiled as he pulled her onto the edge of pool. After helping the toddler unstrap herself from the vest, he tucked her into the tight space between them.

"You okay there?" he asked as Sienna pressed her cheek into his chest and strained to wrap her short arms around his neck just like her mother did.

"Mhm," she nodded enthusiastically. Her giggles broke out as she got squeezed between her parents reaching over her head for a peck.

"Again!" she squealed.

Spencer looked down at the bunch of curls at his chest before looking up at Olivia. He took one second to appreciate the playful glint in her eye before pressing his lips back to hers.

Beneath them, Sienna squirmed, ringing out in the sweetest laugh he'd ever heard.

_____

A random bit that came to mind bc pure fluff makes me happy