team player

Spencer sat in the backyard with his brother-in-law and company, his chair angled precisely to provide him a slivered view of his wife in the kitchen of his mom's home. Her pants hung low on her hips, and her palms pressed into the counter. Her not-so-small swell exposed to the world. Their baby girl liked the sun—this is what she had spontaneously decided one day when her shirts no longer fit her properly.

He didn't have to see her face to imagine her eyes roaming the counter, feasting on the meal ahead. Lunch wasn't until one. About that much his mother had been clear, but his wife didn't care. She'd eat however she could.

"You created a monster," Jordan grumbled next to him, following his friend's line of vision to his twin.

It was true. These days, food ranked above all else on Olivia Baker-James' mind. In the top spot, there was dinner. Then lunch. She was iffy about most breakfast foods, but since she had been rolling out of bed nothing short of ravenous, the meal never got skipped. Snacks were next in ranking and importance. And then, if she had mental space to spare, there'd be a slight chance he was remembered at the end of the day.

"She didn't even acknowledge me when I walked in."

"Yeah, well, I share a bed with her and barely get a good morning most days," Spencer said.

"Welcome to the dark side of life with Olivia Baker."

Spencer rolled his eyes. "It's not like that man. Pregnancy ain't no joke."

"All I'm saying is you're in for a trip, man. Liv? Pregnant? This is a new breed of crazy. I can't imagine what happens after that baby comes out."

Spencer swung his fist lightly at his brother-in-law. But before he made contact, he was scrambling up and flying through the back door.

He entered the kitchen just as voices were rising.

"I already told you two times. If you want to stand in my kitchen, you have to cover that baby up."

"Hey, hey, hey," Spencer murmured, sliding his hands around his wife's hips and easing her back. "Let's go outside."

"Get off of me," she hissed. She crossed her arms, and Spencer groaned. He had always felt blessed that his mom and wife got along so well. Things were easy between the two of them. At least they had been before an unborn baby got thrown in the mix. "With all due respect Mrs. Grace. My baby is just fine."

"Just let my mom finish frying and then it'll be time to eat."

"Don't talk to me like I'm a child."

Spencer took a deep breath. "That's not how I meant it. Come sit with me outside."

"It's hot outside."

Remaining silent, his brother's girlfriend shifted uncomfortably in the corner of the kitchen. Nikki had always admired Olivia, but now she seemed a little less sure of her potential future sister-in-law. He turned back to his hormonal hotpot of emotion. Murmuring into her ear, he pressed his thumb into the slope of her shoulder. The muscle released in seconds. For several moments, silence filled the kitchen. He kept at his calming devices while she stood frozen, most likely assessing her chances of winning this battle.

"I just wanted to help," she muttered before turning on her heals and leaving them for dust.

After offering actual help to his mother, he was also shooed out of the house and back to the yard. Instead of sitting with the group, Olivia had found a lawn chair by the fence. Her eyes rested shut as she basked in the midday sun. By her body language, she wasn't itching for his company, so he settled back into his chair and reengaged with the group.