big deal

#100

this one's dedicated to the man, the myth, the legend: spencer james
_____

"It's not a big deal."

If there was one person in her life Olivia knew inside and out, it was Spencer James. But still, the words shocked her. She sat in the middle of their bed, watching him get dressed for the day. A pair of Nike shorts, a black crewneck tee, his silver chain glinting in the morning sunlight. The ensemble was his standard uniform these days.

"What do you mean it's not a big deal?" she asked, more as a knee jerk reaction than a question she wanted an answer to.

"You know these types of things don't matter to me, Liv." He rounded the corner to their bathroom, scanned the counter, and came back holding up his watch. Silent proof that he knew someone in their house had been messing with his stuff.

She flicked a dismissive hand. "But this is big, baby. Like, big, big!"

Wrapping his wrist in the cool metal, he shrugged. She sat stunned. This was really any old day to him. He turned his back to her, contemplating the shelves of sneakers in their closet. Baby blue Retros or a pair of more sensible black and red Air Max's. She could picture his eyes bouncing between the options of the day, and she had the sudden urge to run up and scramble his carefully organized display, to get him to pay attention to her. In a less chaotic chain of events, she swung her legs around, jumped off the bed, and forced herself between him and the dresser.

All he had to offer was a relaxed laugh. Patiently, he eyed her hips pressed flush against his sock drawer. "What, Liv?"

Her own gaze fell to the hand hanging by his thigh. The black and red Air Max's. She knew it. "Are you being serious right now?" she demanded, swinging her attention back to his face.

He shook his head, unsurprised by her persistence. "You know what matters most to me." He leaned in for a peck, and his soft lips captured hers for a second longer than she expected. Every lick of tension melted in her body. Pressing his forehead to hers, he murmured. "You. Our kids. Family. Everyone safe, happy, and provided for. That's all I've ever wanted."

Facing him off, she let the seconds tick by. He was so nonchalant, completely unfazed. With an exaggerated sigh, she wrapped her arms around his neck. There was no option but to relent. "I'm so, so, so proud of you." As the words spilled, a warmth burst within her chest. A feeling so overwhelming, she wanted to hold him until he truly understood how incredibly proud she was. "I always knew it would happen, but still," she murmured into his neck, "I'm so proud."

His lips brushed up her shoulder to the crook of her neck, and time slowed down as his arms tightened around her waist, his grip communicating everything he wouldn't in this moment. "I know. Thank you," he murmured back. "For everything."

"You're the most incredible man I know." She grasped his face, peppering his lips with welcomed pecks. "No one. And I mean no one is more deserving, Spencer."

His entire face softened, and the emanating warmth retreated just enough for her to remember what had been going on before this moment. She took the opportunity to swing back in. "But we need to celebrate."

"We don't need to do anything. We can just go out to dinner." He gave her waist a gentle squeeze and nodded for her to step aside. "Me and you."

"And leave out the kids?" she pressed, knowing they'd be on her side the moment they heard the news. He didn't stand a chance against his offspring. They were all mini versions of him. Stubborn and unrelenting. "You really want to try that?"