date night

Spencer adjusted the collar of his son's shirt, giving the five year-old a once over before his big night out. "You ready, buddy?"

"Yeah," Jackson replied hesitantly.

"You nervous?"

Even though his fists balled up by his hips, Jackson shook his head no.

"What're you gonna say when you see her?" Kneeling in front of his son, Spencer watched him carefully.

"You look beautiful," Jackson recited.

"That's right." Spencer ruffled Jackson's curls before standing and leading him out of the room. "Now let's go see if your date is ready."

"Are you ready, mommy?" Jackson yelled as he ran off ahead of Spencer.

"Hey," the father called after him, "that's not how we meet our dates."

"Oh yeah," Jackson came to a halt a few feet from the bedroom door.

Spencer smiled as he caught up with Jackson. The two week countdown to date night with mommy had really built up the anticipation.

"Can I go now?" Jackson looked up, his legs jittering.

"Come here," Spencer motioned towards the reading nook on the far side of the master bedroom. Earlier that day, he had hidden a small bouquet of roses for their son to give to his mom. "Give these to mommy."

Jackson nodded, enthusiastically accepting the new responsibility.

"Alright, go get her."

He bolted towards the bathroom. "Mommy!"

Coming up after him, Spencer leaned against the doorframe, watching his wife spray perfume on her neck while their two nine month olds sat by her feet. Somewhere along the very short journey, Jackson had forgotten his mission. Squatting in front of his brother and sister, he held a hand up to Gianna, laughing as his sister dropped the hairbrush she had been gnawing on to go for his finger instead.

"Help me." Olivia dangled a thin gold necklace in front of the mirror. A Mother's Day gift from him and the kids. Along the chain, there was a letter for each of their kids' names.

Spencer stepped forward and brushed her curls, styled half up, half down, out of the way so that he could connect the clasp to the small loop.

A laugh bubbled out of her when he finished off his assignment by pressing a lingering kiss to the side of her neck. "It's not your turn."

The lightness in her voice made him wish he could take his son's place. "I know," he mumbled against her skin. "Just thinking about what I'm missing out on."

"You can have me any other night." She patted the back of his head. "Tonight's all about Jackson."

"He's excited," Spencer chuckled as he pulled away.

"I bet he is." Olivia grinned, turning over her shoulder. Jackson was calmly repeating the words high five as he presented his palm to the twins. The flowers rested on the floor next to him, dangerously close to Caleb's grasping hands. "You ready to go, baby?"

Hearing his cue, Jackson perked up, his head whipping towards Olivia. "Yes, mommy."

"What did you want to say to her, buddy?" Spencer asked, prompting his son.

"You look so so so pretty." Remembering his gift, he thrusted the small bouquet up at his mother.

Olivia reached down to scoop up her son, wrapping a hand around his head as she repeatedly planted kisses on his cheek. "Thank you soooo much."