Chapter Thirty-Five

#BD35 — Drake Cole

Our classes ended—we were just waiting for our yaya to pick us up. I was holding my water jug while casually talking to my sister when I noticed the young girl sitting at the back of our classroom near the window. I asked Audrey to approach her but she refused. She even started ranting about how sungit that new girl is that made me roll my eyes at her.

I don't think she's masungit, though?

"Hi." I smiled. "You look sad... Why are you sad?" I asked out of curiosity.

She suddenly laid her head on the table—hiding her face. I looked at Audrey for help but she just shrugged, leaving me with no choice but to try and talk to the girl again.

"What's your name?"

I waited for her reply but I got nothing.

I honestly want to be her friend. I don't like seeing someone so quiet at a certain place while the rest of us are having fun. I want her to have fun with us. She should make friends.

"Kuya, don't talk to her. She's masungit, oh!" Audrey snapped.

"I'm not masungit ha!" The young girl exclaimed.

I panicked when I saw her cry because of my sister's bluntness. I tried reaching for my handkerchief in my pocket but I must've left it at home.

"Oh no. Don't cry. I'm sorry." I tried to wipe her tears with my hand. "I'm Cole and this is my sister, Audrey," I introduced myself and my sister with a huge smile on my face.

I don't want her to cry!

"You're so stubborn, Kuya," Audrey rasped before walking away from us.

I looked at her with a disappointed face. "Quinn, that's bad! You should say sorry to her."

"Okay... I'm sorry but you look so masungit, really." Audrey shrugged.

"Quinn," I called my sister's name with a disappointed tone.

Audrey drew a deep breath. "I'm sorry."

The young girl nodded before putting back her things inside her bag. "Okay lang."

"You're a Filipino, too?" I asked while helping her with her stuff.

"Ah, opo," she replied.

"What's your pangalan? You didn't answer my brother's question kanina," Audrey said.

"Sorry," the girl whispered.

My brows furrowed. "Sorry for what?"

"Celestine," she said with a small smile.

She looks cute whenever she tries to suppress a smile. She can probably be my first crush—No. I'm too young for crushes.

"Kuya! Nanay Marie is here na. Let's go!" Audrey shouted from across the room.

I saw Nanay Marie standing outside our classroom while talking to someone that looks like an attorney because of her attire and the suitcase in her hand. My lips parted when I saw Celestine walking towards the woman Nanay Marie was talking to.

Is she her sundo?

"It was nice to meet you, Celestine! It's a pleasure to be your new friend," I said, trying to make her smile again.

She tried to hide her smile but I saw how her eyes lit up when I mentioned the word friend.

"Thank you," Celestine replied before leaving the classroom with her sundo or mother—If I'm not mistaken.