Chapter Forty

#BD40 — The Proposal

It has been almost two years since our parents decided to go back to our old life. Here, in America. It was not part of my plan to live here again with them—without Celestine. But, I don't want to leave my sister alone. Audrey needs me. My family needs me. As much as I want to stay and be there for the woman I love, I still can't do that because the family will always come first. And if she's in the same situation as me, she will choose her family, too.

We treasure our families so much.

Celestine and I never stopped communicating with each other. I always call her whenever we both have free time—we usually have this online study date. I also try my best to book a flight and come home when an opportunity comes up to visit her. The two years apart went better than we actually expected it to be.

God knows how bad I miss hugging her, kissing her forehead, holding her hand, picking her up from school, watching the sunrise and sunset with her, having our study dates, and our spontaneous coffee dates. I miss her so much and I always feel the urge of dropping everything here just to go back and be with her.

But, I can't.

"Hijo," my grandfather said while I was looking for a seat. He sent a message to the whole family regarding this urgent dinner. I was busy studying with Celestine when I got a call from mama about it. I told her that I couldn't come since I need to study a lot for the exam but she just forced a small smile.

By then, I knew she didn't want to come either. I didn't want to come but I did anyway.

For mama and my family.

"Lolo," I responded before I took the seat beside my sister, Audrey. "Am I late? I'm sorry. I was busy studying for an exam when I got the call," I explained—making him feel guilty.

This dinner is too suffocating. I can't even look at my grandfather! Memories of him hurting Tita Katherine, Tito Elli, and Celestine flashes back whenever I look at his eyes. I sometimes wish that my mother was born in another family. I don't care if that family is not as rich as Javier's. I seriously just want to remove this old man from my life. He caused too much pain already.

"Nakakaabala ba ako?" My grandfather laughed. I smiled weakly before giving mama and Audrey a kiss on their cheeks. "Anyway, I have some important announcement to make."

Mama scoffed. "Just get straight to the point, Dad—stop beating around the bush," she fiercely said before sipping on her wine.

My grandfather nodded with an amused smile on his face. "You are my daughter," he said. He took a sip on his wine, too, before pushing a brown envelope in front of my parents. "As you all know, the company experienced a great recession because of the lawsuit my grandson filed against me," he said before glaring at me.

I smirked. "Just doing the right thing to do—by the papers and by the law," I said. "Just like what you always told me to do." I took a sip of my wine as well. "Follow the rules."

Tita Katherine doesn't want to file a case against my grandfather. She was too scared to fight back. She keeps on telling us that she already lost her husband and she cannot afford to lose her only daughter in the process of fighting for justice. She cannot risk it but I told her that I would help. With or without my parents, I will help them. Gladly, Tita Katherine agreed—we're certain that Tito Elli would want us to fight for it, too.

My grandfather stifled a laugh. "Open the envelope and see for yourself the mess that you made."

Mama was just about to open the envelope when papa stopped her. The look on their faces screamed trouble and anger. It seems like they already have a hunch on what is inside the envelope.