Chapter Thirty-Seven

#BD37 — The Party

When Tito Elli was still confined at my father's hospital, I stayed with Celestine all day since her mother couldn't come even though she wanted to stay by her husband's side. It would be safer for Tita Katherine to stay in our house because of my grandfather's threats.

That old man sucks big time.

After trying our best to help Tito Elli survive, his heart still didn't make it.

I let her only daughter grief from his loss and I let myself grief from it, too. It felt like the world betrayed me. Tito Elli treated me so well. He even influenced Audrey to become a pilot someday. He was like a second father to us despite the past his wife has with my father. He was still good to Audrey. He was still good to me.

"Drake," Tito Elli called my name.

"Yes po, Tito? Do you need anything?" I asked.

He chuckled. "You're spoiling me too much."

"All for my future—" My eyes widened when I realized that I was about to reveal my true feelings for her only daughter. "All for you, Tito!"

"Nako, stop hiding it, Drake," he laughed. "I know you love my daughter."

"Of course po, Tito. She's my best friend," I answered, awkwardly.

"You love her more than that," he insisted with a smirk on his face. "Eyes can't lie."

"We're just best friends po, Tito." I smiled at him.

"Whatever it is, please take care of my daughter for me. Promise me that you won't let anyone hurt her. Promise me that you, yourself, won't hurt my princess. If you're not the one that she'll marry someday then please look out for her." Tears started to fall from Tito Elli's eyes. "Love her the way she deserves to be loved."

"Tito, don't say that... You'll be the one to do those things, okay? That's why you need to fight," I declared.

"I just want to be sure that my daughter is in good hands," he responded. "I'm not saying this to trap you in a dead man's wishes. If you don't love her enough to make her your girlfriend—or wife. Then just look out for her, don't do it out of pity, guilt, or just because of your promise to me. We both know that Celestine deserves the best."

"With or without your requests po, Tito, I will always look after her."

"Thank you, Drake." Tito Elli tousled my hair. "Look after your Tita Katherine as well. Your grandfather sucks. Not gonna say sorry for that."

We both laughed. "Straight facts, Tito!"

"He's still your lolo, Drake. Kung ano man ang nangyari sa aming mga matatanda, let's just leave it like that, hmm? Labas kayo roon," he said.

"I'm still mad at him for kidnapping Tita Kath for some stupid reason and for causing you pain," I ranted with anger in my eyes.

"He has always been like that," Tito Elli whispered. "Anyway, you should probably go home. You still have a class tomorrow, right? Chase your dreams with my daughter, future doctor."

"I will po, Tito. Fight with us po, okay? I'll be back tomorrow and Celestine's on her way here already, by the way," I said with a smile on my face before picking my things up from the couch inside Tito Elli's room.

Everything went downhill after that night.

But I knew I had to be strong for Celestine.

She needs me.