Chapter Thirty-Six

#BD36 — Her First Heartbreak

Tito Elli, Celestine's father, was diagnosed with Coronary Artery Disease a month before our moving-up ceremony. They tried to hide it from us but I overheard my parents talking about it. My father, being a surgeon and the owner of St. Andrew's Hospital, offered Celestine's family help with anything that they might need inside the hospital and Tito Elli personally asked my father to keep this a secret from us. My mother didn't want to take any part in their deal since she cares for Celestine, too, but she still did.

I went straight home right after my basketball training with hopes of having an honest conversation with my mother regarding the things that I heard from them. Once I entered our house, I immediately saw her sipping on her tea while dad was reading something on his laptop. I kissed my mother's cheek before grabbing a glass of water in the kitchen.

I seriously need to drink first before talking to her. The things that I've heard bothered me the whole day! I couldn't even focus properly.

I walked back to our living area. "Ma," I softly called my mom with the urge to ask for any updates about Tito Elli's condition.

"Yes, Anak?"

"Is Tito Elli okay now?" I asked and scratched the back of my head.

"Drake," she said with a worried tone. "You heard everything?"

I looked down at my fingers. "Yeah, Ma, I'm sorry."

"Sinabi mo na ba sa kanya?"

"I didn't—hindi ko po sinabi," I replied. "But, how is he? Is he doing well? Perhaps healing from it?"

"There is no cure for CAD pero sinimulan na namin ang treatment niya," dad suddenly answered my question. I thought he couldn't hear us because he was busy reading something from his laptop!

"We have to tell Celestine about this," I said. "If her dad needs to live with it for the rest of his life then we really need to tell her daughter about it. You can't hide it from her forever, dad."

"It is not our story to tell, Anak," dad replied before closing his laptop.

He got a point right there. It was Tita Katherine and Tito Elli's decision after all. I shouldn't meddle with the grown-up's problems but I'm certain that this news could break Celestine's heart into pieces.

I bit my lower lip. "Okay," I answered.

After changing my clothes, I ask dad to drop me off at the nearest mall in our city. I told him about Celestine's asshole boyfriend who bailed on her on their date. What kind of stupid human would do that to her? The owner of the heart that he broke is Celestine Lim, for goodness' sake!

She's a Lim!

[Andito ka na?]

"Yeah, I'll be there in five," I answered while walking as fast as I could.

The movie will start in a few minutes, gosh, why did she even say yes to Lucas? I already told her that he's a total prick. She didn't listen to me and now she's here, in front of a cinema, waiting by herself because some dumb ass man bailed on her.

If they can't treat her right then return her to me.

I'll be the one to treat her the way she deserves to be treated.

"Hey," she laughed when she saw me walking near her but I know that it was a fake one.

"You okay?" She slightly nodded her head but I won't buy that.

I asked her to enter the cinema first. I hate how she tries to force a smile on me. I've known her my whole life, what's the point of lying to my face? I could see everything through her eyes. I'm pretty sure she knows that already. That's exactly why I'm planning to surprise her with our favorite mashed potato from KFC.