Said Too Much, It Overflowed

Mentions of family fight / yelling

"And where do you think you are going?"

Your stomach, heart, and probably all internal organs sank to the floor as your mother's voice echoed between the walls of narrow staircase.

"You're home early, mom... I was just going to change."

You hoped she wouldn't notice your state at the moment because your back was facing her, but nothing could escape this woman.

"And you're home late. Also, what is it in your hair? Come here-"

She reached up the stairs, pulling you down to her carefully. She turned you around, her eyes wide with shock, eyebrows falling into a deep frown.

"What were you doing?! You're covered in dirt and scratched up-"

She lifted your hair from your forehead,

"What is this?!"

Her words were getting louder each moment, the strength you were clenching your fist with grew also, your nails sinking into the palm of your hand.

" ███! Were you getting yourself in fights again?! Were you?!"

The worst scenario you imagined happened after all. How to get out of this? Tell her you got hit by a car? She'd get mad because you were careless, but it's better than this.
Mother didn't wait for answers though. Your silence she knew so well was enough of a confirmation. You were just like your father after all.

" ███ I thought we were clear! I thought we agreed on something! I told you not to get involved with those boys from your class, stay away from trouble! You have to watch out so much, especially for those-

delinquents!"

Images of the best people you knew flashed before your eyes as she made her comments again.
She was so hypocritical, you couldn't take it anymore.

"So what if I am friends with delinquents? They're not all bad people!"

"Don't talk back on this, you know yourself-"

"Was dad a bad person then?!"

A gasp escaped your mother's lips. You knew you said too much, you saw tears form in your mother's eyes as her hand covered her lips.

The same woman who used to spend time laughing as you attempted to land a decent kick or a punch on a tire that was hanging from the tree in your old backyard...

‎‎
‎‎"Are you shitting my di-"

"Language my dear!"

Your mom scolded, not even lifting her gaze away from the book she was reading. You and your parents were together in your backyard, as it was a nice sunny day. You were busy drawing a majestic art piece in the sand using a stick you found laying in the grass earlier.

"Hehe- sorry, sweetheart."
Dad chuckled nervously. He might've been a former gang member but he feared that woman. Oh how he loved her.