Chapter 28- Oath

CAVAN’S POV

I smiled to myself as I walked through the door. Everything had gone so smoothly. I never expected things to go that well. I looked around the dark room and flicked on the lights. “MOM!” I yelled. It was already midnight and I hadn’t heard from my mom. “MOM!!” I yelled louder. I casually walked into the kitchen and found a small post-it on the cool granite countertop. Hi Cavan. I went out and will be home late. Don’t wait up. X Mum I rolled my eyes as I crumpled up the paper and threw it in the wastebasket. I sat down at the island platform in the kitchen and rested my chin in my hands. It was so like my mom to go out like this. She had been an alcoholic for almost ten years now. After my dad’s death, something in my mom changed that could never be fixed. She was beyond repair. I learned to take care of myself that way. Growing up, my family life hadn’t been the best. I could never live up to my father’s expectations and he was always disappointed to call me his son. If I got a “C” on a test, there would be at least a 45-minute beating that night. My mother would just stand there and cry. After those nights in my childhood I promised myself I would never let a man do that to a woman ever again. So, at around 13 I started going to the gym, joined sports teams, and got toned.  I would do whatever it took to protect my mother and I. The night of his murder, I didn’t even cry. I had to become an adult a lot sooner then I would have preferred. But when I was with Ally, none of that mattered. I pulled out my phone to text Jake. To: Jake “Hey man I just got home from my date with Ally text me when you get this.” I walked over to the refrigerator and pulled out a beer and walked back over to my spot at the island. I heard my phone begin to ring as I checked the caller. “Hey man,” I said. “Hey bro. How’d it go?” Jake asked from the other line. “Really good actually. She dropped a ton of hints tonight I was surprised.” I answered, smiling as I did so. “Wow. That’s great dude. I’m happy for you.” He said sincerely. “Yeah. I just keep thinking about that time I told her I loved her. That was a huge mistake.” I said, emphasizing the word huge. “Why?” Jake asked. “Cause, she probably took it as I was in love with her. I wasn’t. I just loved her as a person and her personality. I’m afraid that she’s going to keep thinking about the time I said that and take it the wrong way. Ya know?” I asked, anxious. “Yeah, I mean I’m sure she doesn’t remember it. Just don’t think too much about it or it’ll drive you crazy.” He answered. “Yeah you’re right.” I said. “Anyway, me and the rest of the boys are going out tonight. You down?” Jake asked. “What’re you guys gonna do?” I said as I took more sips of my drink. “I think we were just gonna head to the bar for a little, chill. You know, the usual.” Jake said as I heard him stuffing food in his mouth. “Sure I’m down.” I said, thinking I had nothing better to do. “Alright. I’ll be there in five.” I heard Jake say as the line clicked. I finished the beer and threw it in the recycling bin, not caring if my mom saw it. Even if she did see it, it’s not like she would give two shits. I grabbed some extra cash in my closet upstairs as I heard Jake’s car pull up.

~

Lauren’s POV

I brushed my long dark hair from my eyes as I flipped the channel on the TV and awaited Cavan’s text. I was so nervous. If Ally had rejected him once again, I knew Cavan would be devastated. I heard my phone vibrate as I jumped a little. I carefully pulled it from my back pocket to see a message from Ally. From: Ally “Hey chica! Everything went FAB tonight. I’m so glad you talked me into it! If you’re sleeping don’t worry about answering bc I’ll see you at school on Monday. X” I sighed in relief as I locked the screen. I wasn’t going to reply to Ally until I heard from Cavan. My phone began to vibrate again as an incoming call from Cavan showed up on the screen. My fingers fumbled with the buttons until I finally held the phone up to my ear. “Hello??” I said frantically. “Hey. What’re you doing?” I heard Cavan ask. I glanced up at the clock above the TV. “Well, saying that it’s almost three in the morning, I’m in bed watching TV. Why? What are you doing?” I asked. “I’m out with Jake and the boys but they are completely wasted and I don’t have a ride home.” He answered. I sighed heavily. “Alright. I’m on the way. Where are you?” I asked. “Brooke Stone Coffee tryna sober up.” He said. I rolled my eyes as I hung up the phone and carefully snuck down the steps to grab my car keys.

~

“Hey Lauren.” Cavan said as he got in the car. He reeked of alcohol and cigarettes. “Are you drunk too?” I asked. He rolled his eyes as he gave me a sarcastic look. “No Lauren. I’m not drunk.” He answered sincerely. I began to drive down the long road towards Cavan’s house. The drive was short and quick, but I understood why he didn’t want to walk. Cavan’s neighborhood was very dangerous. Drug deals were constantly taking place, as were robberies and a multitude of other things. I had known Cavan ever since I was a child. I was there for him after his dad had been murdered and for the past few years his mom had been an alcoholic. He was my best friend, but no one really knew. I stopped the car abruptly as we arrived in front of his house. “Thank you so much Lauren.” He said in his sweet tone of voice. I relaxed my shoulders as I looked at his sad, golden eyes. “Yeah. You know I’d do anything for you Cavan. Is your mom home?” I asked, already knowing the answer. He looked over the windshield into his empty driveway. “Nope.” He answered with a small sneer at the end. “I’ll come in if you want?” I said. “Yeah. That’d be cool.” He said.

~

I flopped down on the old couch in Cavan’s living room as he grabbed snacks from the cabinet. He sat down beside me as he clicked the TV on. “So how was your date?” I said nudging him. I watched as his cheeks turned a light shade of pink. “It was really good. We had a lot of fun. Talked about stuff, kissed a little.” He said with a wink. My smile grew as his eyes lit up. “Good. I’m so happy for you Cavan.” I said. “Yeah. Me too. Thanks for talking her into going with me.” He said. “You know I’d do anything for you Cavan.” I answered with a smile.