Chapter 29- Dark

Camila’s POV

I groaned loudly as I heard my phone go off. What time was it? It was a Sunday morning meaning still time for me to sleep in. I rolled over onto my stomach and hung my arm off the bed as my phone went off again. This better be Lauren texting me. I picked up my phone and jumped a little realizing it was already one in the afternoon. Thankfully the message was from Lauren. From: Lauren “Hey Camz baby. You’re probably still sleeping but I stayed over Cavan’s last night. He told me everything went well with Ally. I’m spending the day with him today I’m sorry to cancel our plans. X” I sighed; disappointed we wouldn’t be able to hang out today. I decided to reply to let her know that it was okay. To: Lauren “It’s ok. We were only going to eat food and go on tumblr anyway hahaha! Why do we put X’s we aren’t even British :) :) :) :))))) X” I sat up straight as my feet lightly pressed to the ground. I ran my small fingers through my long, thick hair and stretched. I heard my phone vibrate once more as I realized it was from Lauren again. From: Lauren. “Hahahaha idk I never really even noticed! Now that you point it out I think all of us do it, but you know I love you the most baby xxx” I smiled to myself as I instantly replied. “THREE X’S I REPEAT YOU PUT THREE X’S MY LITTLE HEART CAN ONLY TAKE SO MUCH” I set my phone down as I headed into the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. I frowned at my reflection noticing every imperfection that I had. I slowly slipped out of my sweats and pulled my shirt over my head. I stepped on the scale and peered down at the number. I sighed in sadness as I realized I was still not the weight I wanted to be. I turned on the warm water and hopped in the shower as I began to scrub the shampoo through my hair. Every time I was in the shower, I always got thinking about intense things. Like last year. I had been bullied so badly I had to go get help. Sarah and her friends had torn me down everyday that I just reached the breaking point. I remember the day she told me I was fat and to just kill myself already. This was the day I started believing her and I gave up trying to be strong. There comes a point where when someone keeps telling you something over and over, you begin to believe in it. My thoughts were interuppted as I felt tears run down my cheeks, but didn’t try to wipe them away because they mixed in with the warm shower water. I was quickly lost back in my thought, unable to escape it. I remember I continued to go to school even though Sarah pressed on. I pretended to brush it off, not think anything of it.  I smiled through the pain because that’s all I knew how to do. I distanced myself from everyone and stayed at home most nights. One night at around three in the morning, I was drunk; really drunk. I don’t know how I remember the night exactly, but parts of it are still very vivid to me.

 FLASHBACK

I had somehow stumbled out onto the sidewalk in my drunken state and was out walking. Light, warm rain sprinkled the air around me as I continued to walk down the street. I wasn’t going anywhere; I was just going. It was so late that no one had really been out, an occasional car here and there, but not real traffic. I saw a bright pair of headlights shining in front of me as I stared directly into the light. I tripped my weak body into the street and watched as the car came speeding towards my limp body. I spread my arms, unaware of what was really going on, absorbing the hot lights from the car. I heard the breaks screech loudly as they skid against the pavement. I slowly opened my eyes to see the car had stopped right in front of me. I peered into the car, seeing a fellow student behind the wheel, Lauren Jauregui. I saw her stare at me in complete fear as she slowly got out of the car. “Camila?” I heard her ask. I didn’t respond; I didn’t know how too. “Camila? Is that you?” She asked again. I nodded my head, my body unwilling to answer. “What are you doing out here in the middle of the night? Are you crazy?” She questioned me. I laughed a small laugh as I looked her in the eyes and nodded my head yes once again. She looked genuinely concerned as she carefully moved towards me. Her light touch fell open my arm as I dropped them back down to my sides. “Get in the car.” She said sternly. “No. It’s okay. I’ll just walk back home.” I said, speaking for the first time that night. “I said get in the car.” She repeated. I obeyed as I buckled myself into the passenger side of her new car. I hardly knew anything about this girl, and now I was in her car, drunk and lost. The next thing I knew we arrived at what I assumed was her house as she stopped the car and looked over at me with her electric blue eyes. “You’re going to stay at my house tonight. I don’t care what you say. You’re staying here no matter what. I know you’re drunk and I don’t want you to get in trouble. Don’t worry; my parents are out of town. The only people here are my younger brother and sister and I’m almost positive they’re asleep.” She explained to me slowly. I nodded my head as I slowly got out of her car and followed her into the house. She led me to her bedroom and handed me a pair of dry, warm clothes and told me to change. I did so as she left the room and I heard her fumbling around in the closet. She came back in with a large comforter and spread it out on her queen-sized bed. She nodded her head towards the newly made up mattress, signaling for me to lie down on it. I did so as she sat in the spot next to me. “I hope you don’t mind but we have to share a bed.” She whispered. I nodded as I felt tears fall from my eyes. I was so grateful she had watched over me like this. My red, tear-filled eyes looked up at her from under the covers as she looked back down at me. “What’s wrong? Do you wanna talk?” She asked softly. I nodded in response once again. I moved my head into her shoulder and cried for about an hour or so. No words were spoken. She combed my hair with her gentle fingers as I sobbed into her shoulder. She shushed me, trying to calm me down as I stopped crying and moved back to the other side of the bed. That was the night Lauren and I became friends.

BACK TO PRESENT

I finished rubbing the conditioner through my hair as I sighed at the memory. That night was never spoken about; to anyone. Lauren had been friends with Sarah since before that night and she hadn’t stopped. They had been friends for so long that I really couldn’t be mad. I was so thankful that Lauren had never bullied me like her though. To be honest she was never really around when Sarah did it. I rinsed my hair  of the conditioner and quickly shut off the hot waster. I grabbed the towel off of its restingplac on the sink and wrapped it around my body and walked back into my room. I threw on a new pair of sweats and tied my long, wet hair behind my back. I flopped down onto the old mattress and felt it sink in around me. I pulled my laptop onto my lap and aimlessly scrolled through my tumblr dash and felt content. I had just gotten comfortable when I realized something was missing. “Crap. I forgot the food!” I yelled to myself.