Chapter 21

I was in the middle of reading a book when I heard a knock at my door and opened it to see Tony at the other end of it, 'What's up Tony', I ask and watch him put his hands out to me, 'I wanted to give you a little something as a thank you for the suit', he says and I take it and shrug, 'I didn't need a gift Tony, I only did it because I was bored', I explain and watch him smile.

'Well, it's for a thank you anyway', he says, 'and also acts as a birthday gifts, so it was the least I could do with all your hard work', he adds and I nod and sigh to myself.

'Well, thanks, I appreciate it all the same', I said and this time he gives me a curt nod and hands me another box I never saw, 'here, Pepper picked out a dress', he says and I'm confused and look at him, 'For what', I ask.

'I'm hosting a small party for your birthday', he replies and I snap my eyes back to him and sigh again, 'you don't have to do that Tony, besides, I don't need a party, I hate my birthday anyway', I said.

'Oh', he says, 'I've already set it up, so a lot of guests are already here, but I'll cancel it', he adds and I sigh to myself, if he's already set it up I don't want him cancelling, he must have spent a lot of money on the event and the one thing I hate is wasting someone else's money.

'I'll go, but only for thirty minutes', I said and watch him smile and then nod, 'Okay', he says and then makes a move to put his hand on my shoulder but I flinch away from him which makes him pause and look at me, 'sorry, I don't like people touching me', I said and he slowly puts his hand back to his side.

'Sorry, I didn't know', he says.

'It's fine, you didn't know', I said and then I watch him take a step back from me, 'I'll see you at the party then', he says and when I give him a curt nod, I wait until he disappears, that I close the door and fall into my bed.

________

*Steve POV*

I was in a match of cards with Nat, Loki, Sam and Vision whilst Thor and Pietro played their new video game beside us and Wanda busied herself in the kitchen, even though we tell her to leave the cooking, she still goes out of her way to make something, but I think it's just to keep herself occupies and she doesn't have to think to much.

'Tony wanna join', Nat says, breaking me out of thought as I look over at him whilst he walks over, 'No, but enjoy the game', he replies and they go back to placing their cards on the table, 'something wrong', I ask, because I can see the concern on his face.

'Did you Y/n doesn't like being touched', he says and I sigh to myself and look at him, 'how did you not know, it's obvious', Nat tells him before I could respond.

'Well, I'm not in the compound to know what happens here', he says and I shake my head a little, 'Yes, she doesn't like being touched', I confirm for him.

'Why', he questioned.

'Coulson explained to me that she'd had a rough life', I start, 'He explained that she was tortured, beaten, and sexually assaulted', I add whilst they all pause and looked at me in shock, 'what', Tony questioned.

'I know, she's been through a lot and because she's had trauma from it and some memories are missing, I think it's just an instinct that she doesn't like to be touched', I explained.

'Shit, he should've told us', he says as I nod, 'He told me and made me promise to look after her so I did, I'm not going to lie when I say she has got used to some of us, but over time, it'll progress', I said as he nods.

'Okay, it would've been easier to tell me sooner but it's fine', he says as I look back at my cards when Loki shuffled a new deck, 'I hosted a party, get ready', he said whilst I sighed, 'I thought your partying days we're over Tony', I said as he looked at me, 'Just because I don't party, doesn't mean I've stopped', he says as we chuckled, 'Anyway, it's not for me, it's for Y/n, it was her birthday, so might as well do something to cheer her up', he says as I sighed, 'Tony, you shouldn't have done that, she hates her birthday', I said.