Chapter 51

I twist the band on my finger, it's been at least three weeks since Bucky proposed and I'm still over the moon, I never thought I could get something like this, a happy ending to go with the long crappy life I had led.

Now I get to move on, knowing Hydra have been dealt with, knowing that they can't hurt anyone anymore and knowing my work is done.

It gave me a sense of peace, wanting, understanding, the path I walked on, is now smouldering fire, instead of the raging one I used to walk on.

Now I get my happy ending, with the people I love and can protect. It's been a long road, but now that ends and I can be happy.

'It was my mothers you know', Bucky says, pulling me out of thought as I stare down at him whilst he lays on my chest, like he always does when I'm reading a book to him.

Currently I'm reading The Hobbit to him, ever since he introduced me to the series, I became in love with it, even more when he geeks out and tells me little fun facts when we've reached a certain part and it makes me laugh that he loves something this much and I can share it with him.

'What', I ask.

'The ring, it was my mothers', he says and I'm looking down at the vintage band, it was a beautiful one I thought he'd picked out for me in a shop, but clearly not.

'Really', I said full of excitement and cheer whilst he laughs and nods, 'yeah, I kept it safe all these years', he says and I'm beaming, because I love it even more now and will cherish it just the same.

'I love it', I tell him and kiss his cheek whilst he smiles and just when I wanted to take his lips too, we heard a small whimper and when I look over at a sleeping Grace on Bucky's pillow with Emori sleeping on her chest, I move my hand and stroll it down her cheek whilst humming a lullaby that calms her.

When she's quieted down, I take my hand back and look at Bucky, who was smiling at me and then takes my hand and kisses it, which makes me smile too.

________

When I've finished using the bathroom, I go back into the room and become surprised when I see Bucky swaying side to side with Grace sleeping on his shoulder and I smile at the scene before me.

It was beautiful, the shadow of the moon bouncing off of his left arm, the soft beats of the stereo that matched his swaying, and the delicate sounds of humming vibrating through his chest, it was an epic scene, one that I will always cherish.

'She was crying', Bucky tells me when I'm out of thought and he stares at me with a smile and I nod, 'she gets nightmares', I whisper, making sure I didn't wake her cause she looked peaceful in this moment.

'I could tell', he replies and then goes over to the bed and when he goes to set her down next to the sleeping kitty, she immediately grips onto him which makes him laugh against her, 'no', she whispers to him and we both laugh, 'only because I owe you a dance', he whispers to her and she falls right back to sleep with a small smile on her face.

'Night, night, Papa', she whispers and we're both surprise whilst I see Bucky's hand tighten around her, 'goodnight Grace', he whispers back and then falls back into his dancing whilst I smile, he doesn't have a problem with what she just called him, which makes me love him even more.

________

*Steve POV*

I was walking down the corridor when someone muttering caught my attention and when I look into the library, Evie is there, muttering to herself on top of the ladder, reading the spines of the books that must have caught her attention.