Chapter 42

'We're here', Oscar says as I look up and see the line of houses, spread across the paved road, the lawns freshly cut with a few kids running and cheering, 'It's...', I began to say when he nods, 'changed, I know', he says, as I smile a little and look back at it.

The first house we walked past was layered with grey bricks, a mahogany door, with tall trees and bushes on the small patch of green they had infront of their house.

'Dad, your early', I heard a female voice as I look over and see her carrying a basket of clothes, she looked like Oscar, they had the same colour eyes, but the rest was Mary, blond hair, ivory skin, painted nails, tinted cheeks, a little colour on her eye lids and a pretty smile, 'I know Alice, I got some help to bring over the rest of the fruit so at least you can't complain', he says as she giggles and kisses his cheek, 'I won't, only if you brought the dragon fruit', she says as he chuckles and nods, 'I brought two loads, have however much you want', he says as she smiles, then walks over to the cart, and jumps in, 'Hi mom', she says as Mary smiles and laughs at the same time, 'hello honey', she responds, giving her small kiss on the cheek.

'Where are your brothers', she asked.

'Heaven knows, probably somewhere where they aren't supposed to be', she responds as we laugh and then carry on after Oscar, 'why did you bring people this time', she questioned as Oscar looked back at her, 'they're helped, so why not, besides, I presume the Avengers could keep this quiet', he says.

'Oh, I didn't know you knew the Avengers', she responds.

'I did mention it', he replied, 'you only mentioned one or two names, besides, if you trust them to be here then so will we', she says as we chuckle a little and Oscar points to me, 'you remember your aunt', he implies as she looks at me and then at him whilst she shakes her head, 'only a little, but she's too young to be my aunt', she said.

'It's complicated, but it's her... it's Y/n', he says as she looks back at me and I smile, 'I don't think so, she looks different to how I remember', she says as Oscar laughs whilst Mary does too, 'first rule', I began as I stare back at her, 'don't get caught when you throw water balloons from the terrace to your dad', I said as her eyes grew when she began to realise, 'Y/n', Oscar says as I look back at him, 'what, it was fun, you would get so mad, but it was so funny', I explained as they all laughed and before we even realised, the whole neighbourhood was out their houses, almost sixty odd or even more people came over to us and once they saw me, they turned to Oscar.

________

When they all realised, they we're beyond thrilled and I just smiled at their reaction whilst coming thrilled in seeing each and every one of them, this is what I was missing, the whole I was missing, the feeling of abandonment and a different type of love that I missed so much and now, it's filled.

'Come on Y/n, I have a surprise', Anna says, grabbing my hand in the process and dragging me with her as I laugh under my breath and look back at Oscar, but he just gives me a slight nod and smile and I turn back around to catch up with my steps.

'Where are we going', I asked.

'Surprise remember', she says as I smile again and we come across a house, one that I knew all to well and became excited, I wonder, the thought ran across my mind as she opened the door and walked in, 'mom, I have a surprise', she called out.

'I'm on the terrace sweetie', she called back and Anne changing her direction as I see an open door and she walks out, 'surprise', she says after locking eyes with her and seeing her wrapped up in scarf, halfway through her puzzle, 'Y/n', she says, almost a whisper as I nod.

'Hi Lilly', I said as she puts the puzzle down and begins to stand up as I step forward and help her up.

She looked at me after that, her hand strolled down my cheek and I smiled, 'you lied to me, you said you we're coming back', she says, clearly upset and I nod, 'I know, I'm sorry, I didn't want you guys stopping me from what I had to do', I said.

'You look the same as the day we lost you', she said as I hold her hand and nod, '...sit, I want you to tell me everything', she instructed, and I did.

________

One I told her everything, she just stared at me and then blinked as I sighed under my breath, 'I'm sorry about Arthur, if I'd known earlier...', I began when she shook her head, 'Arthur was sick for a very long time', she states as I look back at her, 'you we're one of the few people he enjoyed spending time with over that gate, everyday he'd come home with a smile on his face and told everyone who you we're and what you we're like', she says as I stare back at my hands.

'Even though he never told you, Arthur already knew', she says.

'Knew what', I questioned.

'He knew it was you Y/n, he never told anyone but me, but he knew it was you since the beginning', she explained as I suddenly see him, appearing next to her, 'she's right, I did', he says as her head whipped around and she looks at him, 'Arthur', she whispered as he smiled, both loving and warm, 'It's me dear', he says as she hugs him, 'I missed you so much', she says as I smile and hear the cry in her voice.

'I've always been with you, even though you can't see me, I've always been by your side', he said as she pulls away and carefully judges all aspects of his face, like she was seeing him for the first time.

________

I walked up the path, it was hardly there, but I could make out most of it from how flat the grass was on some parts of the field.

Once I reached up there, I moved my hand over to the small wooden gate that was just below my knees, pulled the latch and opened it. I stepped over the barrier and sighed, I can do this, I repeated in my head whilst taking each step and seeing the gravestones we had up there and reading each of the men and women I knew.

Arthur's came next and I smiled whilst carrying on and taking the steps up to the last lane, once I came upon them, there we're five main headstone's stood, tall and high with names and a meaningful message along them, the first one was Evie's, she was the oldest from both me and Oscar, so it was only right that she was first, the second was my mother, then the third was mine with the other two on the side, but I didn't dare to look over at that side, this hurt a lot and I'll break if I have to carry on and look at the other two, it wouldn't be right.

I sighed, looking at them and then turned my head when I heard branches crackling and see the team as I smiled a little and look back at them whilst they carry on walking over.

'Come on, I think we should go', I said, turning back to them and Steve being the first to shake his head and look at me when he saw the stones along with everyone else, 'No, we should stay longer, it's no harm anyway', he says.

'Are you sure, what if we're needed on missions', I implied.

'I told Coulson that we'd be busy so he understood, and he'll take whatever missions we get', he explained as I nod and turn back around to the stones, 'who's Evie and Y/M/n', Wands questioned as I look over at her, 'my mom and older sister', I respond as she understood, '...and', she began whilst I cut her off, 'come on, we should go down, Oscar's waiting to show me something', I said, turning to the team and nod whilst each head down and I thread my hand into Bucky's as he kissed it and I smile.

________

We we're all stood infront of a two story house and I smile, 'you kept it the same', I said as he chuckled and opened the gate, 'I had to, this is your home, I kept it the way you left it, minus what it looks like from the inside', he says as we all step into the garden, 'what do you mean', I asked, looking at him this time whilst he walks over and opens the door with a slight click, 'you'll see', he says, stepping inside and flicking the lights on.

As soon as we stepped in, I knew everything inside changed, it didn't look like the way I designed it, the way it was meant to feel like home, it was something else, and once I got a peak I already knew, 'you made it into a museum', I said as he smiled and nods, 'yeah, people had to find a way to move on and so did I, so I thought we'd set this place up with every picture, every painting, every book, basically, anything you had and we set it like this', he explained as I smile whilst walking over to a room that was meant to be my living room, 'you know, the day you left, it was all ready for you move in', he says as I stare back at him, 'I know it was', I said, looking around again, 'sorry, it all went to nothing', I said as he shook his head, 'it didnt', he followed up whilst I nod again and flick open a switch and we see all the weapons that I owned, locked away in a cabinet, all on display.

________