Chapter 49

Coulson had to step out after we told him what happened, he had to sort something out, so now we we're waiting in the meeting room with Grace in my lap whilst she preoccupied herself with her colouring, I got her a colouring book a few hours ago, so now she was enjoying her activity with her new art set I brought her, 'you missed a spot', I tell her and she frowns at me, 'I know, I'm doing it', she says and I laugh at her, 'so when do I get my art set back', I ask.

'Never, this ones mine', she says and I snicker until I hear Alya's voice and smile at her, 'look what I...', she begins and stops when she looks up to see Grace, 'what is it', I ask when I saw something in her hand, 'A bracelet', she says and walks over to me, 'I made it', she states and I smile, 'very nice', I tell her and then pick her up and put her on my lap when I scoot Grace closer to me, 'there's no space', Grace says when she looks at me with a frown.

'Be nice', I tell her and her frown deepens, 'I am nice', she says and I smile and nod, 'I know, so be nice please', I said and Alya puts her hand out to her, 'I'm Alya', she introduces to her and I watch Grace stare at her, 'okay, go away now', she says and I shake my head again, she always had a problem sharing me with others, especially kids, 'she's mine, not yours', Grace tells her in her mean voice and then I'm quick to catch Alya when she pushes her off of my lap, 'Grace', I snap at her and she's quick to stare at me because she knows I don't use her name unless I have too.

'That wasn't nice', I tell her, calmly, 'say sorry to her please', I ask and she's staring at me intently because she knows I'm serious with her right now, 'it's okay', Alya's voice breaks out in a small cry and I know how brave she's trying to be right now, 'I'm okay', she adds and we're staring at her, 'she says sorry, or else I'm still going to be mad and won't talk to her again', I state and Grace becomes upset when the tips of her ears turn red and she knows that she did something wrong, 'I'm sorry', she whispered to her and Alya gives her a warm smile, 'it's okay, I'm fine now', she tells her, 'I made Y/n a bracelet, if you want it, you can', Alya tells her and presents Grace a yellow and pink bracelet with beads and flowers on it, 'see, same as mine', she tells her when she shows her her wrist and Grace stares at her then me, 'I'm sorry', she tells me and I'm smiling to myself, then pinch her chin with my thumb and index finger, 'it's okay, but you don't do that again', I tell her and her lower lip wobbles when she turns red again and hides her face in the inside of my jacket and I know how embarrassed she is and hug her, 'don't do silly things like that again', I said and then give her a moment.

'Are you ready to come out', I ask and she shakes her head, 'Alya made a bracelet, it's in pink too', I state, 'your favourite, you should wear it', I said and when she doesn't reply, I smile again, 'I'll have it if you don't', I said and she frowns and looks up at me from inside my jacket, which makes me laugh, 'I want it', she whispered.

'Then you'll have to come out', I said and she shakes her head, 'no, tell them not to look at me first', she says in barely a whisper but when I look at the team, they're already talking amongst themselves and I smile and stare back at her, 'the coast is clear', I said and she peaks her head out and Alya smiles, 'here you go', she says, then puts it on her wrist, 'see, matching', she says and Grace begins to smile, 'you have more pink, I want more pink', she says.

'I don't have any more beads, but we can swap', she says and Grace nods and watches her switch them.

'There', Alya says when she's done and I know she likes it, 'what do you say', I said and she looks back at her, 'thank you', she tells her and Alya smiles, 'I made one for my puppy to, want to see', she asks and Grace is quick to nod, and when she jumps off of my lap, she skips out of the room whilst she waits for her.

I watch her run back in with a golden retriever in her arms, 'this is Biscuit', she introduces and when she brings him closer, Grace is quick to pet him and smile, 'see', Alya says, showing Grace the blue and yellow bead necklace collar she made for him with a matching handkerchief around him too.