~Chapter 23~

~Vincent point of view when James came downstairs before their heated kiss~

"Vincent?"

I sat up on the couch quickly as I heard James call out for me. When I turned my head, I could see him coming down the stairs tensely. I immediately stood up from the couch trying my best not to look stupid.

"Huh? Oh! Yes sir." I called out nervously. "Is everything okay? Did I do something wrong?" I asked timidly. I hope he didn't expect me to go to his office again. If so, I had failed to follow his simple directions yet again.

"No. I just wanted to check on you. Make sure you were really okay." He recalled.

As I tried my best to stand still, I started to indirectly fiddle with my fingers a bit. I had only begun so when I noticed James walking up closer to me. I fixated my eyes on the floor as he approached. It wasn't until I heard Tyson leaving that made me look up. "Of course he would leave in a time like this." I thought to myself.

"I know you've told me your okay and all but, I apologize for letting that guy get close and scare you. I should've gotten to you sooner." My mind became blank as James brought up that guy from the store again. As much as I tried to convince him I was okay, the more he asked for certainty if I was ok, it was becoming harder to mask my true feeling about the situation. Hell, in the moment of that altercation, I almost pissed myself. It wasn't until I saw James reach out one of my hands for mines that made me think he caught the hint. I began to slowly breakdown from the inside out. I couldn't hold back the lump in my throat anymore, or the flow of tears that was steadying itself to pour out.

"I'm sorry. I'll make sure nothing like that will happen to you again." James said sincerely. I could see a glossy coat of wetness over his eyes that depicted he was being as honest as he could be.

I couldn't help but take a deep breath and embrace James. I hid my face in his chest as I clenched to his shirt. I didn't want him to see me cry about that incident. I didn't want to seem anymore fragile to him. When in reality, when put in situations like that, I am.

"I was really scared he was going to do something to me. I was terrified actually.....But you came just in time." As I spoke, a tear ran down my cheek. After it fell, I felt a urge to confess to James on how much of a protecter he is to me. "Just when I rejected his advance, you came in time." I said as I looked up at James with me still teary eyes. "I thought he was gonna hit me or drag me off somewhere. I honestly would've been too scared to run or yell for help since he had that knife." I admitted. "I didn't want him to cut or possibly stab me....But before he could've did anything, you came and threw him off and away from me. You protected me."

After speaking the tears I fought desperately to hold back fell slowly down my cheek. James looked at me with what looked like guilt as he wiped my tears.

"I'm glad that nothing happened for you to have been harmed." He said softly.

Hearing James say that made me snuggle deeper into his chest. He instantly embraced me back. But seconds later I then felt one of his arms shuffle and move about. When I looked back up at him, I saw him placing his phone back in his pocket.

"Come let's sit." He instructed.

I nodded in agreement and sat back down.

As I sat on the couch, I made sure there was a little bit of space between James and I. I was practically all over him since he came downstairs. I thought he probably would want some breathing space now.