My Way

Damn it I moved too slowly. I really had to do something about my get away tactics.

I jerked my arm free from his grasp. "Not here."
"Zoey?" I heard Zacky's voice call "Are you okay?"
"I'm fine, Zack," I called keeping my eyes on Brian.
He motioned toward the door, never taking his beautiful brown eyes off of mine. "Let's go."

My hands shook as he followed me down the hall to my office. I hadn't really given much thought as to how things would work out when we finally took time to discuss it. We had a plan and now it was ruined. Did I want to take the time to repair it or should I just cut my losses and give up?
Ugh. Was I destined to keep making the same decision in every relationship I was in until I got it right?
I opened the door and walked through not bothering to hold it open for him. Once inside I leaned against the front of my desk instead of sitting on my chair. I crossed my arms across my chest. "You wanted to talk...so talk."
I took a good look at him as he seemed to struggle with whatever he wanted to say. His black faded Pantera shirt that was soft and thin from years of washing. The left sleeve had a hole in it that I couldn't help but poke my finger through every time he'd worn it at home. His face although still gloriously handsome looked as tired as I felt. He had a week's worth of stubble that I was dying to rub my face against.

"I'm sorry, " he finally managed
"Sorry for embarrassing me in front of one of the biggest producers in the business or sorry for being a no good cheater?" I asked trying to keep my tone even.

"I don't know," he shrugged listlessly "both ....I guess."
"You guess?"
"C'mon Zoey you know I didn't mean to...with Michelle I mean...it was a stupid move. I should have controlled myself better. I'm sorry I hurt you."

"Hurt me? C'mon Brian I expected it from you. That's who you are. I just didn't expect it only weeks into our fake ass marriage and I sure as hell didn't expect you to get caught."
He looked stung "That's not who I am," he said sadly
I frowned. "Look Brian, this plan...maybe it wasn't such a good idea. Maybe we need to use this as an out."
His brown eyes widened. "I don't want that. I promised..."
"And I'm letting you out of it," I said loudly.
"You don't mean that."
I didn't know what to say. I really didn't want out but I didn't want him to think he knew better what I wanted.
"Zoey, I'm sorry. I can't say it enough. Let's just..."
"Stop apologizing. Are you taking the out or what?"I demanded.
He shook his head "No."
Taking a deep breath "Fine. Then we finish this bargain but from here on out, it's just business."
"Okay," he agreed, his head hanging down.
"That means no more touchy feely. No more sleeping in the same bed or stupid dates that we don't have to go on. And no more sex," I said, an image of Brian's gorgeous body flashing before me. The sound of his moans. The taste of his skin. Technically I had already decided to give that up before I found out about him and Michelle, but still...maybe....
Nope, wasn't gonna happen.

Brian's POV

I didn't put up a fight. What grounds did I have to stand on? None. I'd been caught cheating before. Many times. More times than I was proud of. I always justified it by reminding myself and anyone who would listen that Michelle had done it first. That her indiscretions justified mine. But Zoey...well I'd promised her, as my friend that I would be faithful for the duration of the marriage. I'd promised Zacky, my best friend that I'd treat his sister with respect. But I didn't. I was wrong. I had fucked up. Typical Brian style.

"Okay,"I replied softly and for a second neither of us moved or spoke.

"I guess I have to cancel my date for Zacky's engagement party now that we've made up," she joked halfheartedly.
I wanted to laugh but I wasn't sure why I was stung by the fact that she would even joke that she had another date.
"Yeah I guess you're stuck with me for the engagement party and the wedding," I mumbled.
"Assuming you don't get caught with your tongue in anyone else's mouth," she shrugged.

"So are you going to bring that up every fucking five minutes?" I asked angrily.
"Probably," she said simply, something in her green eyes telling me that she would.
And then we did something we hadn't done in more than a few days, we both chuckled.
"You'd better get back," she said quietly "Your ten minutes are almost up."
I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. "Look, I was just a jerk in there. I'm..."
"I know," she said "You're sorry. And you should be. It's okay because you're going to make it up to me."
"How?" If there was a way to make her forgive me, I was all for it.
"Why you're moving to LA, of course," she replied with a toothy grin.
Okay so maybe I thought too soon. "You're joking right?"
She narrowed her eyes "Does it look like I'm joking Brian? I'm not...really not joking. We've been playing this whole act by your rules. And you see where that got us. So now we're doing it my way."