Alone

I had half a day off today and got to work on this one to get two chapters done! YAY! Only Zoey gets a POV in this one.

Zoey's POV

Slowly and painstakingly, I was beginning wake up. My body felt like a submarine; heavy, clunky, and slowly but surely, rising up to the surface. My head throbbed and everything was hazy and dark; but something was starting to feel more normal. Off in the distance, with in my cloudy mind, I heard a faint beeping noise and then something cool and damp on my skin. It felt good and I reveled in the fact that it actually made me feel better, not worse...there were no loud noises or too bright lights like I had remembered after being moved from the car to the ambulance.

"Zoey...can you hear me?" A distant voice was calling through the clouds.

I knew the voice from somewhere but couldn't place it...it was so familiar...it was Zacky, I realized with relief. So at least my mind still worked. Now I wanted more than anything to open my eyes, to let him know what I was finally starting to feel better but my body wouldn't allow it. I tried commanding my eyes to open but they didn't listen. Maybe if I could just get something else to move...I willed a finger to lift and heard the beeping off in the distance beep a little faster. There. That wasn't so hard.

"Zoey?" I heard my mom this time. I felt something warm on my arm and realized it was someone's hand gripping mine tightly.

My eyelids fluttered briefly and I blinked as they slowly came into view.

"Mom?" I croaked.

Zacky leaned forward to inspect me before turning his head to whisper loudly: "She's awake!"

"No shit Zachary," Zina frowned "We know she's awake...her eyes are open."

"I'll get the nurse." Edward offered rubbing Zina's arm before leaving the room.

I looked around as the clouds began to clear and my brow immediately furrowed in groggy confusion. "Where am I?"

"You're in the hospital, "my mom said as she got off the bed quickly as another person came in the room.

"Well good morning Sunshine," the nurse said smiling warmly while checking my IV.

I winced and tried to sit up but the nurse's hands firmly kept me in place. "Just take it easy, now...one step at time. How are you feeling?"

"I...ugh...my head really hurts..." I responded in a daze.

The nurse nodded good-naturedly and continued to check me over as my mom moved back to her previous position.

"What happened?" I asked anxiously.

Zina and my mom exchanged a brief look of silent communication before Zina finally responded.

"Do you remember the car accident?"

I thought about it and it made my head ache. "Yes..."

"You were with Lee?" Zina asked.

I winced as I tried to remember but it was hazy. "Yes...he wanted to have lunch...the photographers...we...took his car...he was driving too fast...don't remember much after that..."

The nurse nodded in understanding. "Yes, that's normal when you have a concussion. Don't worry too much about that."

I nodded and the action made the room spin. It was then that I noticed Jimmy and Matt standing in the room.

"Why are you here?" I asked hoarsely.

Jimmy smiled "We came as soon as we heard. Matt drove like a bat out of hell...not sure if he was worried for you or scared of Brian."