Meeting the mother

It was only a couple of days later, when they were having breakfast, that Fei was sitting at the table, just staring at her croissant.

"What's going on, honey? Something wrong?", Nathalie, who felt utterly good today and therefor had quite an appetite, asked her.

The girl sighed.

"It's just....ugh....it's nothing. Don't worry, I'll be fine!", she told her mother with a fake smile.

"Is it still about that despicable....", Gabriel began, being interrupted by Fei, who shook her head vigorously and told him:

"No, and please don't mention that, when Adrien and Marinette are here too. It's something totally different. But I can handle it, I guess!"

"Fei?", the pregnant woman placed a hand on hers.

Letting out another grave deep sigh, she gave in and admitted:

"Kagami asked me to come to her place for dinner tonight. She wants to introduce me to her mother!"

"Oh darling, that's so sweet. Does Tomoe know, that you're coming? I mean, as the one, dating her daughter. She already had a hard time, accepting when Kagami hung out with Marinette and Adrien, though she trusted Gabriel", Nathalie explained her question quickly, to not make her daughter feel bad because of dating a girl.

But Fei had thought the same.

"Well, what if her mum doesn't like me, just because I am not a guy? If she believes in traditions so strongly, wouldn't she be against her daughter dating another woman?"

The adults looked at each other for a moment, neither sure, how to answer. Then Gabriel slowly started to talk:

"Honestly, I can't really give you an answer to that. But I think, I don't know, I just think, that you might be able to win her over by showing your qualities. Here it's actually your advantage, that Tomoe honours traditions and value, as well as ancestry so much!"

Fei scoffed to his last statement.

"Seriously? You had to mention my ancestors? What should I tell her? That the man who raped my mother is in jail now, after my pregnant mother's fiancé forced him to turn himself in for his crimes? That will most likely make her throw me out immediately!"

Nathalie's eyes filled with tears, seeing her child so desperate.

"Actually, from my side of the family, at least the Chinese one, they were all very traditional and honourable men and women, as were Cash's. From his mother's side. His father was a needy, violent man, who valued his son over everything and taught him only one thing was of worth, money! Before you ask, I've done some research recently, because you were so sad, when you found out. I just wanted to make you see, that nobody is just good or bad, we all have both side in us, it just depends on which one we decide for. And well, you obviously decided to be good, as Wu Sifu was. He raised you well and 'he' was your father, not the one, who started your existence. Wu loved you and I do too. So does Gabriel. And I am sure, if you tell Mrs Tsurugi your story, she will give you full respect for what you did and how you handled to fight them off for so long on your own!"

"You can't imagine, how much I wish for both of you to be right with your assumption!", the young woman groaned and pressed her hands to her face. "I don't mind, if she doesn't like me, but I don't want her to tell Kagami, that she's a disgrace or dishonored her family, if you know what I mean!"

"No mother should be thinking like that, but you might be right with your suspicion, Kagami was akumatized for feeling she had shamed her ancestors. But if she wants you two to meet, she is obviously very serious about your relationship. So trust your girlfriend, that she knows, what she's doing, yeah?"