Chapter 2

During the break, on the top floor hallway of SSS3 block, two SSS3 boys named Lateef and Lekan positioned themselves near the railings, With their striking looks, characterized by their tall frames and dark skin, they could easily captivate attention. Their outward appearance belied their inner nature, as they were known to be bullies.

The few students in the hallway paid no attention to either of them. Instead, their attention was captured by an average fair-skinned SSS2 boy passing by downstairs. What made him stand out from the crowd was the unique way he slung his crossbag over one shoulder, holding it with his hand as if it were a purse. The boy, Chika was impeccably dressed, wearing his grey suit and tie, with his neatly pressed shirt and trousers. The outfit highlighted his sleek and slender physique, which seemed to evoke a mix of admiration and repugnance among onlookers.

Lateef and Lekan, fueled by their homophobic views and disdain for Chika's effeminacy, called him over and demanded he clean their classroom, even though it was not particularly dirty.

Chika entered the classroom and retrieved a broom from inside the basket wastebin tucked in a corner. After hanging his cross bag on an empty chair, he rolled up his long sleeves to his elbow level and made his way to the back of the room. With careful attention, he began sweeping the floor.

"Guy! Are you gay?" Lateef shouted. "See the way you're sweeping like a woman" the whole class laughed, but Chika ignored him.

"Fag!! It's like you're deaf? Can't you answer the question?" Lateef asked angrily, frightening Chika.

"No." Chika responded shakingly.

Jason walked into the class when he overheard Lateef shouting slurs at Chika and felt immediately irritated by them.

"Be going to your class," Jason dismissed Chika, which annoyed Lekan and Lateef.

"He hasn't finished sweeping yet, let him finish" Lekan said.

"Abeg, class would soon start. Let him be going before Mrs. Jeffery would come," Jason said. He turned to look at Chika, and Chika dropped the broom to get his crossbag.

Lekan and Lateef hissed as they went back to their seats.

"Come back," Jason called Chika.

"Yes, please" Chika tried to hide the rudeness in his tone, even though he was already frustrated.

"When you get to your block, help me call Zuriel" Jason instructed, and then Chika left.

Zuriel sat amidst the SSS2 students, blending in seamlessly as if she were one of them. Her petite stature often made her go unnoticed in the crowd. People often mistook her for Tope's twin sister, even though they shared no blood relation. The confusion surrounding their resemblance perplexed them both. While Tope possessed a chocolatey complexion, Zuriel had a lighter overall skin tone, Additionally, Tope's intricate cornrows hairstyle further differentiated her from Zuriel's appearance.

Chika walked into the class looking for Zuriel, his eyes went side by side like he was scanning the class, Zuriel immediately notices but doesn't know it was her he was looking for.

"Chika is here... Is he gay?" Zuriel asked Tope.

"I think so, why'd you ask?" Tope asked back.

"The way he's holding his crossbag" Zuriel demonstrated.

"School mother senior Jason said I should call you" Chika found Zuriel.

Zuriel stood up and packed her things to go, but before she did, she asked Tope when she'd be paying her 'dues'. Tope postponed and said Thursday, and Zuriel warned her to have it ready by then.