Chapter 35

Tope eventually returned home after her visit to Chika's house. Moyo, having deduced Tope's whereabouts, refrained from inquiring about her absence when she came in.

Moyo continued to dwell on the recent developments concerning her and Timi. As she reflected on the situation at the dining table, the pieces of the puzzle started to fall into place, forming a clearer picture. Despite the emerging clarity, Moyo found herself grappling with a sense of overwhelm, as if her thoughts were descending into disarray.

Tope approached her direction heading to her room, pretending not to notice Moyo's inner turmoil.  However, their eyes met, prompting Tope to inquire about the troubled expression on Moyo's face.

"What did Chika tell you he did?" Moyo asked a question of her own. 

"He didn't tell me anything, he was just crying" Tope claimed.

"I think Timi is gay. And not just Timi also Jason, That's why he rejected me." Moyo revealed.

Tope laughed hysterically, finding it hard to determine whether her sister was joking or genuinely serious.

"What's making you laugh? I'm serious. The way Jason acts one kind when it comes to Timi, even when I asked Timi out, Jason was the one that turned me down." Tope felt uncomfortable hearing her sister talk about this. "Plus, the way they reacted when I said the word 'fag'. I know It sounds stupid but I've been reasoning it." Moyo concluded.

Tope had never considered the possibility that they might be gay, so she didn't have any input. Although, she oddly felt her sister was onto something.

Before the end of the workday, Chika had tidied up, hopeful that his parents wouldn't notice his bruises when they returned home. He ventured out and made his way to Jason's place, in the hopes that Jason was free and willing to lend an ear, as he needed someone to talk to.

Jason was not expecting Chika at the gate when he opened it, especially since he hadn't shared his address with him.

"How did you know where I live?" Jason inquired.

Chika responded boldly, "I had a crush on you. Of course, I know where you live."

Jason chuckled and felt flattered, extending an invitation for him to come inside. Chika hesitated for a moment, seemingly wanting to chat outside. Jason understood the reason behind his sudden pause and clarified, "My parents are not yet back from school." With this assurance, Chika felt more at ease and entered the house.

"What was it like for you knowing you were gay?" Chika asked once they had settled inside. 

"Never felt different. Although I knew I was different but I had Timi with me"

"Oh my God! You and Timi?" Chika deduced.

"OK I've told you enough for one day" Jason said with a chuckle.

Jason advised Chika to be cautious and selective about whom he trusted. Chika shared that only Tope knew about his queerness before the incident.

Chika pointed out that Jason had it somewhat easier, considering he blended in more effortlessly, being masculine and into football, which made it less likely for anyone to suspect his sexual orientation. Jason had to concede that Chika had a point.

Chika desired to be as open with his parents as he was with Jason. But, due to their limited presence in his life, he never had the opportunity. In light of the incident, he felt grateful that he hadn't, considering the potential consequences.

Jason, in turn, shared with Chika in a way he hadn't with anyone else, except for his LGM.

"What about Malik?" Jason asked.

"I didn't see him after everything, he never came back to class" Chika said.

"Lateef came only once after break"

They bonded over their shared queerness, even more so, learning they had much more in common other than that.

"Just wait till the straights find out gay people are more than just being gay" Jason remarked sarcastically.

"I swear!" Chika matched his energy. "I should start going before your parents come back and your dad meets me here"

Jason escorted Chika out of the house, upon approaching the front gate, Chika turned around and hugged Jason. He didn't mind the slight awkwardness or the height difference; he simply wanted to convey his gratitude. Jason was taken aback by this gesture, but it deeply moved him. He responded with a gentle embrace, inadvertently causing Chika some discomfort due to his bruises.

Late at night, Stephanie and Beamer were having a conversation over the phone. Stephanie had been yearning to confide with someone about Jason and Zino, even though she had promised not to reveal their secret.

"Beamer, I'm truly sorry," Stephanie whispered softly from the darkness of her room. "You really frightened me this morning, but deep down I kind of enjoyed what happened." Stephanie referring to the incident with Lekan.

Beamer scoffed audibly on the other end of the line.

"Beamer I've been meaning to tell you something but as per we weren't talking I couldn't tell you then." Stephanie hesitated. "What I'm about to tell you, I'm not supposed to be telling anyone, so you have to promise not tell anybody" Stephanie finally broke.

"Stephanie what is it?" Beamer inquired eagerly. But, before she could utter another word, their call was interrupted by another incoming call - it was from Jason, but he was calling Beamer's other line. Beamer quickly ended his call with Stephanie, and coincidentally, Jason's call disconnected at the same time.

Jason had made several attempts to call his LGM, but she remained unresponsive, despite the phone ringing. Frustrated by the lack of communication, he decided to send her a text message. It read, "Hey, how are you? I've been trying to get in touch, but it seems you're not available. Anyways, I finally opened up to someone who's going through what I went through. It's so overwhelming, but I feel like a mentor now. I genuinely like this guy - as a friend that is. He seems really cool. I hope things start looking up for him."

Beamer, the person behind the LGM account, read Jason's entire message and quickly deduced that he was referring to Chika.

Beamer opted to reply later and called Stephanie back, eager to hear what she had to say. "So sorry somebody called. What did you want to tell me?" He explained once Stephanie picked the call.

"Nothing. Just forget about it" Stephanie replied. Beamer, realizing that it was likely related to Jason, didn't push her to reveal more, respecting her decision not to betray anyone's trust.