Chapter 24

Chika arrived at school around 9 AM, hoping to slip in unnoticed. He signed in at the gate, trying to appear nonchalant, hoping they wouldn't call him out for his lateness. The security post was empty, so he quickly glanced around before hurrying towards the SSS2 block. Passing the SSS1 block, he couldn't shake the feeling of eyes following him, aware that other students were already engrossed in their papers.

His attempt to run to class was futile, and he knew he couldn't escape the attention. In the classroom, Malik and Tope already prepared with extra sheets, ready to write his papers since he hadn't shown up.

Chika got to the SS2 block, only to find his classmates already writing their papers. The invigilator noticed his lateness and instructed him to write his papers outside the classroom. He sighed, regretting not taking the option of having Malik and Tope help him, but he knew that would have been unfair and risky.

After dropping his bag with the others against the wall, he stole a quick glance at Tope and Malik, who seemed happy to see him. Taking a seat on an abandoned chair with no back outside, he received his math paper and marked his attendance before settling in to tackle the challenging subject.

Math had always been a struggle for Chika, and with no one around to help him, he anxiously chewed on the cover of his pen while deep in thought. He couldn't help but imagine what would have happened if Malik had stayed behind, the last time they met.

Feeling the invigilator approaching, he absentmindedly pressed random buttons on his calculator when the invigilator came over to check on him, trying to appear busy until she went back inside the classroom.

Pascal was the first to finish his papers, and he discreetly switched question papers with Chika, sharing his answers. Chika was immensely grateful for the help, even though he didn't ask for it. Chika couldn't express his gratitude verbally as Pascal quickly left.

Thanks to Pascal's assistance, Chika finally understood what he had been missing that led to his previous struggles. With newfound clarity, he completed his remaining papers confidently.

After finishing his last paper before the break, Chika sought out Tope and Malik. The pain he felt had reduced compared to the previous day, and he felt relieved to be done with the papers.

Stephanie and Moyo decided to go through their past questions during the break after realizing a similar question appeared in their paper.

"I knew I had done this before, I need to start reading these past questions" Moyo commented.

"I swear" Stephanie agreed.

Zuriel, mischievous as ever, interrupted their conversation just to provoke Moyo.

"Stephanie did you do number two in Civic?" Zuriel asked.

Stephanie understood Zuriel's intentions but chose to ignore her and focus on Moyo.

Sensing that staying there would only escalate things, Moyo decided it was best to leave the situation. She excused herself and went on her way.

"I hope you're happy you chased her away?" Stephanie asked, Zuriel smirked.

On the nearly isolated pavilion, Zino found himself sitting between Jason and Timi since they couldn't practice football during the midterms.

Engaging in small talk, Zino struggled to resist the urge to make advances towards Jason. He knew it wasn't the right time or place, but his feelings were hard to contain.

"Did you guys use dubs?" Zino asked.

"Yesterday small sha, but Today Jason's mummy was our invigilator" Timi said. Zino laughed.

"That woman should stop, I'm tired of her, she's so annoying, I know she'll not rest until she finds out whose paper is that" Jason vented his frustration about his mom.

"She's still your momsy" Zino chuckled.

Zino had to leave as his papers had already started. Moments later, Moyo walked past the front of the pavilion, and they all exchanged glances. Jason decided to break the moment by asking Timi to follow him to class. He felt a sense of satisfaction, knowing he might have made Moyo jealous, whether intentionally or not.

Mrs. Jeffrey wouldn't stop complaining about everyone coming late to class after the break. She shared their scripts aggressively and gave them no extra time, sticking to her strict invigilator persona.

The other students were used to her tactics, so they found their ways around without getting caught. This wasn't the same for Jason. Once his mother was around, there was nothing he could do but endure the added pressure of her presence.

Beamer was almost done with his paper, and he planned to give Lekan his dubs once he finished. But, Lekan was becoming impatient and kept hurrying Beamer to write quickly. Beamer sat adjacent on the middle row, so it was much harder for them to exchange dubs discretely.

Beamer tried to speed up, but Lekan's constant calling of his name caught Mrs. Jeffrey's attention. She scolded Lekan and told him to submit his paper and leave the class. Lekan obeyed, but as soon as he left, Mrs. Jeffrey called him back when she noticed his handwriting matched the piece of paper she had found earlier in the day.

There was no saving him from the situation this time. Mrs. Jeffrey punished Lekan and threatened to report the incident to the school authorities.

All the students completed their papers before the closing bell, except for SSS2 students offering 'Food and Nutrition'. Malik and Chika had to wait for Tope, who was one of the students taking the subject. As they waited, Malik and Chika settled at the back of the block where they usually hung out.

"How did Lekan know about us?" Malik asked Chika.

Chika felt a strange sensation in his chest when he heard Malik refer to them as "us." He wanted to blush, but considering the circumstances, he suppressed his feelings.

"I don't know, I was also surprised he knew and he didn't tell your brother" Chika replied.

Malik seemed apprehensive, worried about the repercussions if Lekan ended up sharing the information with his brother. Lateef was already upset about what happened yesterday, after someone had told him that they saw Malik going to Chika's place.

"But what of Olamide?" Chika asked.

"The boy is stupid but he's also afraid of my brother. He can not tell him anything" Malik said.

Chika wanted to address the elephant in the room, which was what happened between him and Malik the day prior, but before he could bring it up, Zuriel approached them from her block.

"Chika you came today? What happened yesterday?" Zuriel sat in between them.

"I wasn't feeling fine." Chika replied, not wanting to reveal the real reason.

"I needed you yesterday, but no need, get well soon" Zuriel patted his head and left.