Chapter 4

"I saw your friend in SS2 Class today," Mr. Jeffrey said to Jason at the dining table as the family was having dinner. "Again" he added. Jason's mother made no comment, as Mr. Jeffrey had not mentioned any names. However, she actually admired and respected Zuriel, even though she was not aware of everything about her.

Jason chuckled lightly as he continued to eat his meal, a familiar sight at the dining table. Things were not always like this. Before his older sister left to study abroad, the atmosphere at the table was very different. There was a sense of cheer and liveliness that seemed to be missing now. Jason's sister was always full of energy, cracking jokes and keeping everyone entertained. But now, with her gone, the dining table felt a bit empty and subdued.

Now it was just his dad, his mom, and himself at the dining table every day, Jason couldn't stop thinking about what Timi said. It really hurt him because he never expected the boy he loved to say something so hurtful. The words continued to haunt him, and he couldn't shake off the feeling of betrayal.

Jason's mum decided to pique interest in what was bothering Jason."what's going on Jason?" She asked.

"Nothing, it's just that I wanted to tell you I'm going for Lateef's party" Jason lied.

"There's no problem. Just be careful, don't let anyone put anything in your drink" His mother cautioned, going over a list of rules and guidelines. Jason nodded along as she spoke.

On Thursday morning, the SSS3 students had biology as their first period of the day. They all made their way to the biology lab, where the topic of discussion was reproduction.

As the class drew to a close, the teacher asked if anyone had any questions. When no one responded, he decided to call on individual students to ask questions. He selected Lekan who had not been paying attention.

"Can man and man reproduce?" Lekan asked, clearly already knowing the answer.

"No. That's unnatural and an abomination, it's in America that they force people to do all those rubbish" The teacher responded with disgust.

Timi, who was sitting on the other row away from Jason, stared at him as the teacher continued to make homophobic comments. Jason noticed the glance out of his peripheral vision.

Unable to tolerate the teacher's hateful words any longer, Jason stood up and challenged him.

"First of all, America isn't 'forcing' gay marriage, it wasn't even legal in all 50 states until 2015, even if that were the case - which it's not. You can't force-" Jason felt a sudden surge of confidence.

"Do you think what they do is normal?" The teacher cut in.

"What 'they do' is not a choice and... " Jason stopped himself and sat back down, feeling the weight of all the eyes on him.

"Finish it" The teacher demanded. Jason apologized for challenging him and left the class. Every student in the lab began to suspect him.

During break, Jason and Stephanie headed to their usual spot in the school's garden and sat down.

Beamer approached them, seeming to be interested in talking to Stephanie but addressed Jason instead. "Ehen you said being gay is not a choice...how is it not a choice?" He asked.

"What's being gay?" Jason replied with a question of his own.

"Same-sex attraction?" Beamer questioned, rather than answering.

"Is attraction a choice?" Jason folded his arms. Beamer was at a loss for words and accepted defeat.

Beamer's conversation with Jason was just an excuse to speak to Stephanie. However, he couldn't bring himself to approach her directly and instead used the opportunity to speak to Jason as a way to indirectly interact with her.

"Wow and I thought I was the one that loves gays" Stephanie says once Beamer left.

"Bash it abeg" Jason deflected.

Stephanie saw Timi approaching the garden and shifted, expecting him to sit with them, but he sat down somewhere else, all on his own.

"It's like there's something wrong with the two of you...Whatever happened, you better apologize" Stephanie concluded. 

"Why should I apologize? I didn't do anything wrong" Jason defended himself.

"Then why would he sit on his own?"

"What concerns me?"

Stephanie tried to get Jason to open up about what was going on between him and Timi, but he refused to talk about it.

Chika returned to his classroom from the school's tuck shop, carrying a bottle of soft drink and a sausage roll. As soon as he opened the bottle, Malik reached for it without saying a word, from his seat closest to the door. Chika understood immediately and handed the drink over to him. Malik took a gulp and then returned the bottle to Chika.

"You should come for my party" Malik said.

"I was going to come already"

"Oh well you can be my date" Malik winked at him, Chika laughed.

Olamide felt disgust as he caught the exchange from the hallway through their class' window, but he continued walking to the next class.

The SSS2 students were left behind after school closed because their physics teacher refused to dismiss them. After constant whining, she finally allowed them to go. Chika rushed out of the classroom and headed for the gate, hoping not to be called by any senior from the SSS3 block. Most of them had already gone home, but unfortunately, Lekan called out to Chika again.

"It's like you're mad, you left that day without sweeping the class finish, carry the broom and start sweeping from the back" Lekan pointed at the broom, indicating that Chika should start sweeping.

Chika began to sweep without complaint, hoping to finish quickly so that Lekan would leave him alone. As he bent down to sweep, his rear stuck out and Lekan saw that the block was empty. He advanced towards Chika and pressed his erection against Chika's behind. Chika stopped moving. Lekan screamed at him to continue sweeping, and Chika reluctantly began to move his hips, rubbing against Lekan's member. Chika dropped the broom and turned around, placing his hand on Lekan's area.

Just then, Lateef walked into the class looking for his bag. Lekan panicked and hit Chika on the head.

"See this fag you want to touch my balls?" Lekan screamed as Lateef walked in and saw what was happening. Lateef wanted to join in on the beating, but Lekan told him to let Chika go. Lateef didn't believe that Chika had actually touched Lekan. He suspected that Lekan had just made the claim as a homophobic tease.