Chapter 16

The Thursday after, Jason and Timi arrived at their classroom ahead of everyone else after the second period. As Jason settled down, he noticed that his bag had been closed in an unusual manner. Typically, he would zip his bag all the way to the other end, but this time the zipper met in the middle, indicating that someone had tampered with his bag. The discovery left Jason feeling unsettled and wary.
He opened it and saw a folded piece of paper on top, after unfolding it, he read the first two lines and laughed.

"What's in it?" Timi asked.

"It's a love letter or poem... " Jason said "who the fuck still does this? what year is this??" Jason asked rhetorically.

Jason examined the handwriting on the bag but couldn't make a conclusive identification. The first person who crossed his mind was Zino, but he couldn't be certain since he had never actually seen Zino's handwriting before.

It was unlikely for Zino to be responsible.

"You have a secret admirer" Timi exclaimed, a mischievous glint in his eyes. Jason's heart skipped a beat, uncertain of how to react, Jason smiled, masking his true emotions, while deep inside, he silently wished for Timi to realize their connection and choose to be together once again.

More students filed into the classroom. Jason found himself scrutinizing each one, trying to uncover the identity of his secret admirer. "Wait, what if it's Abigail?" Jason pondered aloud, turning to Timi for insight.

"I don't think It's her... I think she likes Lateef." Timi shook his head, offering his opinion.

Balikis walked into the class, she started smiling at Jason as soon as she saw him, Jason looked no more, he found the culprit.

"Did you see what I left for you in your bag?" Balikis asked Jason.

"Huh? What?" Jason acted confused.

Balikis confidently asserted she wrote the love poem for him.

"I thought it was meant to be a secret, if you could walk up to him and tell him, why didn't you just do it rather than write love letter?" Timi had to ask.

Balikis explained that she wanted to add an element of intrigue and excitement by keeping it a secret. She believed it would make the situation more interesting. She made it clear that she was eagerly awaiting his reply, leaving Jason feeling even more pressured.

Timi's piercing gaze made Jason hesitate, and he quickly realized he had to buy some time. Reluctantly, he told Balikis he would consider her message and provide a response soon, concealing his true intentions to avoid hurting her feelings.

Zuriel and Stephanie casually greeted the three as they walked by, acknowledging their presence with friendly gestures. Beamer joined them, taking a seat alongside Zuriel and Stephanie.

"You stab class so much, I forgot this is your seat" Beamer jokingly remarked to Zuriel. Zuriel stared at him, unamused, until Beamer felt compelled to apologize for his comment. Zuriel couldn't help but feel like a third wheel as Stephanie and Beamer engaged in their conversation.

They continued discussing their plans for their first date, deliberating on where to go after school. Their excitement and anticipation filled the air as they explored different options and shared their preferences.

"Are you serious?" Zuriel asked.

"Yes!! My parents won't be around for a while so I'd go out with him but before that I wanted him to meet me at my spot where I read so we can have some personal time there" Stephanie says.

"I don't understand, didn't you two start dating like days ago, you're already having 'personal time' Stephanie!!" Zuriel called out Stephanie, Beamer wanted to respond to that but something about Zuriel just scared the hell out of him.

Stephanie had entered into the relationship hastily, motivated by the desire to make Zino envious, but it seemed to have no effect on him since they were not in the same class. While Stephanie had developed genuine feelings for Beamer, she questioned whether she was truly ready to pursue a romantic relationship.

Conflicting emotions swirled within her, and she grappled with the need to sort out her own feelings before committing further. Stephanie recognized the importance of being honest with herself and Beamer, unsure if she could fully invest in a relationship at this point.

Stephanie regained her focus and resumed her conversation with Beamer, seemingly unfazed by her earlier doubts. Meanwhile, Zuriel grew increasingly impatient as she observed the couple debating over their first date destination. She felt frustrated, especially as thoughts of Moyo began to occupy her mind.

Zuriel sensed that Moyo had something planned, and she knew Moyo wouldn't simply let her go. Zuriel realized she needed to think quickly and come up with a plan of her own.

Without attracting the attention of Stephanie and Beamer, Zuriel quietly left the classroom and made her way towards the SSS2 block. Determined and focused, she entered Chika's class during the ongoing third period, managing to slip in unnoticed by the teacher.

"Where's Tope?" Zuriel asked, sitting beside Chika and Malik.

"I don't know if she came today." Chika said.

Zuriel requested for the bag of sweets back from Chika, he handed it to her almost empty, Chika had sold most of the sweets already. Chika wanted to give Zuriel the money he made, but she told him to keep it, Chika clearly knew the moment he accepts it, he'd be indebted to her.

"Keep it. I dash you." Zuriel said and casually walked out of the class.

Tope had actually resumed school, but she hadn't attended any classes yet. She had been preoccupied with pleading to her sister, trying to convince her not to report Zuriel to the school management. Despite her earnest pleas, her sister remained adamant and refused to listen.

Moyo's desire to have the last laugh consumed her. She refused to let things end as they did and was determined to fight back. Reporting the incident seemed like the only course of action she knew would make an impact.

Tope cherished Moyo and Zuriel deeply, never anticipating that a day would arrive where she'd be forced to choose between them. The idea of taking sides was disheartening.

Tope held a glimmer of hope that Timi would appear in their midst, as his presence might have a slight chance of dissuading Moyo from proceeding with her plan to report. Timi seemed nowhere in sight, leaving Tope anxiously yearning for his arrival.

Moyo noticed a teacher making their way towards her classroom for the third period. She hastily bid Tope farewell and hurried off to join her classmates. She left Tope hanging, unsure of her intentions regarding the report.