Chapter 5

Tope was nearly able to leave school without being caught by Zuriel, but she was ultimately spotted.

"Tope!!" Zuriel screamed from behind.

Tope turned and ran to meet Zuriel, pretending that she wasn't just trying to leave in a hurry.

"Are you ghosting me?" Zuriel asked.

Tope told Zuriel that she was at the clinic the entire time, claiming that she had been feeling nauseous. But, Zuriel was not convinced by Tope's lies. She knew Tope more than anyone, even better than Tope's own sister. Despite Tope's attempts to deceive her, Zuriel was able to see through the lies and knew that Tope was not telling the truth.

"Sorry, school mother please you have to understand, I don't have the money now...I'd get the money by next week, I swear!" Tope went down on one knee, and stuck her index finger on her tongue before raising it in the air.

"Don't tell me all those ones, stand up! did I tell you to kneel down?" Zuriel instructed Tope, who quickly stood up and dusted off her knee.

Zuriel warned Tope not to try to hide from her again, reminding her that they had been close for a long time and that Zuriel would understand anything. Tope nodded and promised to never hide from Zuriel again.

Stephanie was standing on the sidewalk outside the school, waiting for a bike to come by. Before she could flag one down, she was stopped by Zino.

"Sorry. I just wanted to know if there's any problem going on between Timi and Jason" Zino asked.

"No it's no problem" Stephanie said, trying to hide her embarrassment. She couldn't help but blush, as her crush was talking to her. "I don't know what's wrong with the two of them but I know they'd soon have sense and start talking to each other don't worry"

Zino smiled and thanked Stephanie, causing her to blush even more. A bike pulled up in front of the two of them, and the rider asked "you dey go?". Stephanie got on the bike and told the rider her address. Before the bike could take off, Beamer tried to stop Stephanie from the other side of the road, but he was too late. Stephanie turned back and waved at him as the bike rode off.

Beamer then crossed to join Zino on his walk home.

"You like her?" Zino asked.

"God forbid" Beamer rejected. Flicking his thumb against his middle finger, before flinging it above his head.

"Shut up see the way you screamed her name"

"Well she likes you so I have no chance with her."

"Me?? It's not possible"

"Can't you see how she was blushing when she was talking to you?"

"Doesn't mean anything, I'm a fine boy normally" Zino shrugged, Beamer scoffed as they went on.

After searching for Moyo for a while, Timi finally spotted her on the road. Although, he felt shy about approaching her, not wanting things to be awkward between them. After taking a few deep breaths to calm his nerves, Timi finally gathered the courage to walk up to her.

"Your number?" Timi held out his phone to Moyo.

"I thought you didn't have a phone," Moyo replied as she added her number to Timi's contact list.

"Don't mind Jason... I'm sorry about what happened" Timi apologized for Jason's behavior.

Timi then asked Moyo if she would like to come to Lateef's party with him. Moyo initially said no as payback, but Timi continued to plead with her until she finally agreed.

At the end of the day, Jason was trying to move on from his relationship with Timi and thought that dating someone else might be a good way to do so. But he knew that it would be difficult, especially in a country like Nigeria where many gay people were closeted.

In an attempt to find someone to date, Jason decided to try using a gay dating app he saw online. Although, he was worried about the potential dangers of using such app.

Jason reinstalled Telegram in order to join a gay group that he saw the link for online. . He noticed that the members of the group were using a lot of slang that he was unfamiliar with. 

Jason looked up one of the terms and discovered that it meant "lesbian." Upon checking the profiles of the group members, he realized that the group was actually for gay women and promptly left.

Before Jason left the group, one of its members had messaged him. He was bored, so he responded. The member went on to ask him why he left the group, and he explained that he didn't really understand what was going on and also he was a guy.

The member quickly understood the situation and asked Jason where he was located. While the question made Jason a bit uneasy, he decided to be honest but not too specific, saying that he lived in Nigeria. The member responded that she was located in the United States.

The two of them started making small talk, and Jason eventually came out to her as gay. She made him feel very accepted and told him that everything was going to be okay eventually. She shared that she had also struggled when she found out she was gay in high school. Jason began to like her and confided in her about his experiences with Timi.