Chapter 30

Arielle

When we arrived, it was only 7am and very few people were on campus yet. Isabelle parked in her usual spot and turned to me. I stiffened instinctively, not meeting her eyes. "Let me see your schedule." I silently pulled it out from my binder and handed it to her. "You don't have class until 10:30." She observed. "In that case, you can sit in on my first class until your classes start. I still need to go talk to your professors quickly, so you can go wait for me in my classroom."

"I don't want to be a bother." I murmured, even though it was probably in my best interest to stay close to Isabelle in public. I also wondered exactly what she intended to tell my professors. Even if she told them that I was a distant relative of hers who was joining in mid semester, I wouldn't be graded for all my previous work.

"It's not a bother. I would actually like you to observe this class. I am teaching Criminal Justice 240, one of the prerequisites to 310. Although you seem to be following along fine without it, I believe that it will be very informative anyways. You can act as my TA." She lowered her voice. "And it's best you stay by me for now in case Vincenzo's people are lurking around."

I nodded, knowing that I couldn't refuse. "Yes, Miss-Dr. Williams." I corrected. She nodded in satisfaction. "Can I have a word with Celine later? She works with Chase."

"Are you going to tell her the truth?"

"I-I have to." I whispered. Her expression hardened. "Celine is not connected to Tristan's gang. None of them are. She's like a sister to me."

"Fine." She breathed. "I am choosing to trust you this once. Do not make me regret it and remember that the fewer people who know, the better. Even if you believe that you can trust them, accidents happen."

I nodded. "Thank you, I won't." I hadn't been intending to tell anyone else anyways, I thought to myself.

She turned and began to walk to her classroom. I quietly followed behind. We arrived at the classroom and she opened the door. She began to set things up and wirelessly connect the projectors. I cleared my throat. "W-would you like some help?" She shook her head and a loose piece of blonde hair fell over her eyes. I had the sudden urge to go brush it out of the way for her. Instead, I just swallowed nervously.

"No, go sit down."

"Yes, Miss." I replied quietly and went to sit by her desk.

Almost immediately, she whirled around to face me. "Don't call me Miss here."

I flinched, my eyes wide. "Y-yes, Dr. Williams." She nodded in satisfaction and continued to glare at her laptop. Five minutes later, she still couldn't establish a connection and ran her hand through her hair in frustration. I stood up, reached in the drawers through what seemed like hundred of cords and selected the ones for the projector. Then, I started manually connecting it to the laptop. She stared at me.

"How did you know which cord to use?" She gave me a curious glance.

"I guess I'm old school," I offered her a small smile, but when met with a blank expression, I just sighed. "We have the same version in the office. It's a pain to use, but I have a lot of practice." I shrugged.

She continued to watch me as I sat down again. Then, she turned and grabbed a stack of papers before placing them in front of me. "Since you are acting as my TA, maybe you could mark some of this for me while I go talk to your professors." She spoke in an slightly amused tone.

I was surprised at how her moods could turn so quickly, even more so than before. Still not looking at her, I nodded and reached for the answer key. "Yes ma'am."