Chapter 39

Arielle

Was it possible to question everything that you had previously known in a split second? I had always considered myself quite good at detecting lies, considering that I had spent half of my life pretending and hiding my side activities from my parents. Never had I found reason to suspect that Trey Alexander was a double agent.

I took a step towards the two. It was Isabelle who spoke next. "What the fuck, Arielle. I told you to stay in the office."

"I heard his voice in the hall..." I said in a tone that I didn't quite recognize as my own.

"Rebecca." Trey said almost calmly, but it was clear in his eyes that he was anything but in that moment. "You're alive."

I cast my eyes downwards as he walked forwards to close the distance between us. "I'm alive." I repeated quietly.

Trey turned around to face Isabelle. "Can we talk somewhere privately?" He said in a controlled tone, but I didn't miss that his fists were clenched tightly by his sides.

Isabelle opened her mouth to speak before I interrupted. "Please." She pursed her lips before nodding towards the office that the two of them were in earlier.

"You've got ten minutes." I nodded gratefully and turned to walk towards it, Trey following closely behind. I heard the door click shut seconds after I had stepped inside.

I turned around and Trey was leaning against it, his expression dark. "Why." He said quietly.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that?"

"Don't turn the question against me. I have my reasons. Why did Dominic send you." He gritted in a harsh tone.

"He...didn't." I said quietly, not looking at him. "I met Isabelle's father the morning after we tried to break in." I admitted.

"So you broke in and decided to sell us out?!"

"What the f*ck, Trey? If I was going to do that, I wouldn't have risked my life with the cops that day. Or with those thugs who tried to off you!" I slammed my hand harshly on the desk behind me.

"You needed me to trust you at the time! It's one thing to stick together when the cops are on your trail, but then to sell your friends out to another gang who can offer you something more-"

"You. Have absolutely no right to judge me!" I fumed. "If I understand correctly, you also work for Dominic Versailles, and you've been in this a lot longer than me. You have no loyalties to the Black Phoenix, clearly, so why the fuck are you treating me like I'm a traitor!"

"I have loyalties to my friends! You have no idea why I'm working for Versailles so shut your damn mouth." He snarled at me, starting to get in my face.

"Yeah? Well you have no idea why I joined the Black Phoenix either, so don't be such a bloody hypocrite." I scoffed. "And I never betrayed my friends! I told you I didn't meet Isabelle's father until the day after I broke in-"

"You f*cking got Rex killed."

The words didn't even process in my head for a moment. "Wait what?!"

It was only then that I noticed that Trey's eyes were red and he had dark circles beneath them, as if he hadn't slept well in days. When he spoke again, his voice was completely different. "Rex-Rex thought your had been captured and killed. We went back and I told him not to do anything stupid. He stormed into Vincenzo's office to scream at him, but it wasn't Tristan that was there. His father was. Victor Vincenzo is very rash and won't take no disrespect. He shot him on the spot."