Chapter 13

Two weeks later

Arielle

"You, you're coming with us." I thought that I had misheard Trey and looked around to see if anyone was behind me.

"Me?"

Rex chuckled quietly at my reaction. Trey rolled his eyes. "Who else! Now c'mon." Without hesitation, I quickly got up and rushed to follow them.

Rewinding slightly, it had become somewhat of a routine for me to meet Trey at his house on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the afternoon. Sometimes the other boys would come over as well. Unlike the big boss, Tristan Vincenzo, Trey's house was relatively normal. I was surprised to see that aside from his involvement in gang activity, Trey led a relatively normal lifestyle. He was actually quite pleasant to be around normally, but that didn't mean he was any less abrasive when he was anxious.

I hadn't interacted with the boss yet, but Trey had been in charge of showing me the ropes. I got to sit in on a lot of the meetings, but I hadn't been physically involved. A lot of the duties merely involved paperwork and arranging for shipments. It was quite tame and I had yet to find out anything useful or meet anyone who might know anything. Although I had been disappointed that I didn't see Clara the other day, I knew it couldn't be this easy and I was relieved that I was spared from coming face to face with the big boss, at least for now.

Whenever he had the opportunity, Chase would lecture me repeatedly on being patient and gaining trust first. I did as I was told, but that didn't mean that it was easy. To say that I was surprised when Trey wanted me to join him and Rex on the exchange tonight was an understatement. Luckily, they likely thought I was eager just because I needed the money.

Although Trey was higher up on the chain of command, he would routinely handle the exchanges personally. I later found out that this was because he simply didn't trust most of the others to do it properly.

We walked down the stairs and went to the foyer where I quickly grabbed my jacket and stuffed my phone into my pocket. "Got your pepper spray or whatever it is that you girls carry?" Rex teased.

"No, I can f*ck you up without pepper spray." Rex rolled his eyes and Trey's mouth twitched in amusement.

Suddenly, he turned to me with a serious look. "Go to the cabinet on the far right side of that shelf." I frowned before complying. I opened the cabinet and inhaled sharply when I saw a small handgun inside. "Take it." Trey muttered quietly.

I picked it up and walked back to the door, offering it to him, but he shook his head. "You're going to hang on to that."

"I-"

"We agreed no weapons during this exchange, so I'm not going to be carrying any. I still want to avoid what happened last time, so in case that these guys don't hold up their end of the deal, you can help control the situation." This time we were trading with another group. The last I heard, the big boss was furious with what had happened last time and demanded that all trade be cut off with them.

"And if they frisk us before the exchange?" I asked quietly.

"They won't frisk you, because you won't be seen."

"Come again?" I raised my eyebrows at this.

"You will stay out of sight during the exchange. Keep an eye out for cops and Rex and I will communicate with you on the situation." I opened my mouth to protest, but then closed it again, realizing that it was actually probably better if I didn't have to be seen.

"Give me two minutes actually." I walked back upstairs calmly and I could almost hear Rex groan in impatience. "This is important!" I hollered back at him.