Chapter 41

Isabelle

I felt myself going numb as I rushed to the main doors. I knew of Chase Evans, of course. Arielle had mentioned him multiple times when speaking of her work. I had never understood why a full-grown adult would recruit a child to help take down a drug lord, and that was exactly what Arielle was at the time she joined their organization.

Deep down, I had my suspicions, even if I didn't know the man's motives. It only took me a few seconds to spot Chase Evans. He was a tall man in his late 20s, with dirty blonde hair and light skin. He was leaning against his car, slightly bent over, staring at his phone in concentration.

Surely he could feel my presence as I approached him like a storm. "What do you mean she's been taken." I gritted out, not even saying hello. He looked up at me, startled.

"She was supposed to come over for a meeting. I sent a car to get her, but last I heard from her was that she got into a different car. I don't understand. She said that my driver picked her up, but he was stuck in traffic." Chase ran a hand through his hair in frustration. "She must have been followed somehow, but she told me she was inside when she took my call. It's the only logical explanation though. How else would they know about the meeting and me sending a car? Unless our phones are being tracked, but Arielle said you replaced her phone-"

"I can't believe you." My voice came out coldly. "Allowing a child to get involved in this world. This isn't a game!"

"Arielle is not a child-"

"She was when you recruited her!" I snapped. "She was a child. She wanted her sister back and you used that." Chase's eyes darkened, but I continued. "I don't know what your agenda is, but I will not allow you to involve her anymore. Once we find her, that's it."

"How dare you. I recruited Arielle because we had a common target and I saw her potential-"

"Her potential? You mean the fact that she doesn't have an ounce of fear in her and is happy to get herself in any situation you want in order to find her sister?" I snapped. I didn't care how I was coming off as. I had well exceeded my patience.

Chase flinched at this, but recovered quickly. "Arielle is an adult now and she can make her own decisions. If she wanted out, I wouldn't have stopped her. I don't think you realized how much of this was her own plan. I didn't want her to infiltrate the Black Phoenix, hell I begged her not to! But like I said, she's not a child anymore. She isn't going to stop until she finds her sister." Then he scoffed. "You act all righteous, but as if you're not putting her in danger just by being around her. Your father is Dominic Versailles! She is your student."

"Oh?" I felt my blood starting to boil. "And she was perfectly safe under my watch until you decided to involve her again-"

I cut myself off after a moment, forcing myself to take a deep breath. We didn't have time for this. "I will keep her safe." I gritted my teeth. "She knows I'm doing everything I can to find Clara Reagan. She'll listen to me. So just leave her out of whatever future plans you have." I snapped.

Chase's jaw tightened. "Fine."

"When did she last message you?" I refocused, not wanting to lose anymore time.

"About 15 minutes ago. Her phone was turned off after that. It's not a mystery who's behind this. But to figure out where she is..."

"I'll alert the guards at the gates. See if they have a description of the car she got into. Since Vincenzo is behind this, we need to get a list of possible places he could be keeping her." My mind was already figuring out how I would speak to Treyson Alexander about this.