Chapter 25

Arielle

It was already dark when Isabelle dropped me off. I could tell that she was really hesitant about leaving me alone in the dark, even though the location of the safe house was in a rather nice neighbourhood. After I got out of her car, I made sure to walk the opposite way, not turning back to head to the location until I had seen her drive off.

When I arrived at the safe house, the doors were all bolted shut. Trey hadn't given me a key yet, so I sent Rex a message saying that I was there. Several seconds later, Rex unlocked the front door. The first thing I noticed was that he was covered in blood. My eyes widened as he ushered me inside.

"What happened?! You need to get to a hospital!" I shrieked as soon as the door was bolted again.

"Calm down!" Rex panted, running his hands through his hair. "It's not mine, not most of it anyway."

"What happened?" I pressed a little more calmly. It was then that I truly took in his frazzled appearance, torn and blood-stained clothes, and the bruises on his face.

He grabbed my arm and guided me forwards. I silently followed him until we stopped in front of a door. Rex didn't bother to knock and just pushed the door open. He gestured for me to enter first. I gasped as soon as I saw Trey. His entire face was swollen with a gash on the left side of his cheek.

I immediately hurried over to him and pulled out the mini first aid kit from my bag. He grunted and tried to pull away. "Stop it! What happened?!" I growled as I pulled apart a piece of cotton and poured some antiseptic on it. I lightly dabbed at the cut and he clenched his fists, but didn't speak.

"Is no one going to tell me what happened?" I hissed as I cut a sheet of gauze and pressed it to the cut. "Hold this in place." I ordered.

Rex finally broke the silence. "You remember us telling you that we had reason to believe that the Sapphire Blood gang had infiltrated us?" I suddenly recalled Chase's warning as well.

"No..." I stumbled backwards. "They didn't-"

"They somehow managed to attack the estate in the late afternoon today while boss was out communicating instructions to the guys handling the latest shipment."

"Why were you guys at the estate?" I frowned in confusion.

"Boss wanted us to file the reports for the shipment." Rex explained. "When we got there, the first thing we noticed was that the security system had been shut down. We were heading to the control room to see what had happened when we were ambushed by Versailles' men. We managed to fend them off, but there were too many of them and they clearly got what they came for. I'd never seen boss so pissed."

"And what did they come for?" I asked with urgency.

"No idea." Trey muttered and stood up. "Boss will be joining us at the safe house later tomorrow. Rex and I have to go back to the estate to clean up the mess."

"Mess?"

"Blood everywhere, shattered windows, cut electrical wires, the estate is like a scene out of a horror movie right now." Rex explained gruffly. "One of Versailles' men even left a message. Decapitated one of our guys and wrote on the wall with his blood."

"What did it say?" My head spun and I tried hard not to vomit. Rex coughed uncomfortably.

"This is for Lady Elena. Her killers will be slaughtered one by one, and we'll rip out your eyes last, so you can watch." Trey muttered.

I walked over and took a seat in front of Trey, holding my head in my hands. "I-I'll come help." I forced myself to say.

Rex gave Trey an uneasy look before clearing his throat. "You need to stay here."