Chapter 36

Arielle

I felt like I was floating on a cloud. I was dreaming, but then I wasn't, and then I was again. It felt like forever before I regained consciousness completely. Once I did, I opened my eyes groggily to glance around the room. Once my memories returned to me and I realized the situation, my face turned bright red.

I had woken up in Isabelle's room alone. I squinted around the room. The curtains were drawn, but the bright light was still peeking through them. That meant that I had likely only been asleep for an hour or so. My questions were soon answered because Isabelle walked into the room. She was perfectly dressed in a cashmere sweater, a white top, and a skirt that reached to her lower thighs. She didn't seem to notice that I was awake and began to rummage through the drawers. She tossed some things into her bag and I watched her. Once she was done, she turned around to face me and my face turned red again. My eyes widened, giving me the impression of a deer in headlights.

The edges of her lips twitched a little bit and she reached into the drawer again before pulling out some leggings of mine and a hoodie of hers. Then she tossed them in my direction. "Put those on. There's no need for underwear." She smirked.

I swallowed nervously. "Wh-why?"

"We're going to the estate. Father says he needs to see me. We'll probably be there for the rest of the week since we have that meeting on Friday as well." She reminded me before smirking. "Unless you'd rather go in what you're wearing now: essentially nothing."

I scowled at her and sat up on the bed, hugging the blankets tightly to my chest. This made Isabelle roll her eyes, but she didn't say anything as I pulled the hoodie over my head and put the leggings on as well. I made a face because I really wanted to get cleaned up first. "You can take a shower once we're there. Father said it was urgent." Isabelle turned back to the bags.

I reached into the nightstand beside the bed and pulled out a hairbrush to fix up my hair a little bit. Like Isabelle, I had also begun to keep some of my clothes at her father's estate. It was simply the most convenient for the current situation of moving back-and-forth.

Once I was finished fixing my hair, I made my way to the bathroom to wash my face and put on my wig. I definitely felt sore down below, but now was not the time to worry about that. Even though I didn't have to disguise myself at the estate, I usually did during car rides just in case. When I came out, Isabelle had already packed everything that we would presumably need. I slid my phone into my pocket and followed her out.

We didn't talk very much on the car ride over and I listened to my music. Once we arrived at the estate, I made sure to check my demeanor. I pulled the wig off and slid it inside Isabelle's purse. Although almost everyone at the estate had been quite kind and welcoming so far, I couldn't fully feel at ease.

Isabelle dropped off the car to the valet and we headed inside. I kept my head lowered and walked in after Isabelle. I didn't say anything and played my part. Once we walked down the entrance hall, I could see from the corner of my eye, Dominic Versailles standing by the doorway of the sitting room. His expression was difficult to read it, not that I dared to take a second glance. He started to walk over to us. Isabelle turned and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Go upstairs to my room. I'll meet you up there later." She handed me her bags and ushered me off.

I quickly took them and bowed respectfully to her father before hurrying up the flight of stairs. At the top of the stairs, I could see Marcel and Francis standing in front of Dominic's office. Marcel nodded to me expressionlessly and I reciprocated. I didn't bother making eye contact with Francis and quickly hurried into Isabelle's room. I practically breathed a sigh of relief once I was inside.