Chapter 32

Arielle

I watched Isabelle leave the room with an inexplicable emotion. I yearned to stay close to her and at the same time, I blamed myself for possibly putting her in danger and now being the reason that she had to lie to her father. For all the years that I had been training under Chase, one of the most important things that I had learned was to avoid forming any emotional connections. I had ignored Chase's warnings and acted impulsively, broken Isabelle's heart, only to break into her father's office the same night and tell her everything that I swore I couldn't say to anyone. Furthermore, I was no closer to Clara then I had been at the start of all of this.

I guessed that all of my emotions had finally caught up to me once I let myself feel again because I felt thoroughly drained. I looked up when I heard Isabelle's footsteps re-enter the room. She was carrying a tray of food. There was a bowl of soup and a slice of toast. She sat down beside me on the bed and set the tray on the nightstand. "I thought it would be best if you had something light. I don't want to upset your stomach since you haven't eaten anything in a day." She explained.

I glanced at her hesitantly before staring back down at my hands. "I-I need to go back."

Her features immediately hardened.  "Do you truly not understand the gravity of this situation? You've barely been here for a day and I just had this conversation with you this morning. If you thought my treatment of you as an intruder was bad, what do you think Vincenzo does to traitors?" I could hear the frustration in her tone mixed with concern.

I open my mouth to speak, but snapped it shut again without saying anything. She gave me a stony glare. "Well??"

"I have to find my sister. There has to be some way." I stated flatly. Then I sighed. "Why does your father need Vincenzo's knife anyways? Maybe if you gave it to me to bring back-"

"No."

"But I could just lie and say that I nearly got caught and had to hide on the property until it was safe to-"

"No."

"Why not??" I hissed in exasperation.

She narrowed her eyes at me again. "This isn't about the knife. I don't want you going back there."

"How am I supposed to help my sister if I'm in hiding?"

"How are you supposed to help her if you're dead?" She countered. "I don't believe that last night was the first time you were been put in harms way. I also didn't believe the story you told me about your foot."

I blushed when she called me out. "Well technically I didn't lie... I just told you that I stepped on some glass." She glared at me. "I'm sorry..." I mumbled.

Isabelle sighed and went silent for a moment. "Look, Arielle, do you trust me?" I nodded without hesitation. "Then let me help you."

"H-how?" I whispered.

"I assume that you know of the blood feud between my family and Tristan Vincenzo's." I nodded, surprised that she had brought it up. I had thought it would be best not to considering I knew she had watched her mother die as a child. "They probably didn't tell you this, but Father is close to taking out several of their major operations. That's why Vincenzo is acting so paranoid. The other night wasn't the first time we raided Vincenzo's house. If you're willing to trust me, I can get some of our men to infiltrate them and help get some information. They are all trained for this so they will be far safer that you would be."

I could feel myself getting emotional again. "But why would you do that for me?" I said in a quiet voice.

Isabelle sighed and made eye contact with me. "I once told you that everything was going to be all right. You're not alone here even though I can tell that you're used to doing everything by yourself. If you trust me, I will do my best to not let you down. In return, all I ask is your complete honesty. No more keeping things from me. Let me protect you, baby girl."