Chapter 50

Arielle

Isabelle returned to the room shortly and I clung onto her almost immediately which I could tell was a relief for her. "I'm sorry," I uttered quietly after several moments. "I shouldn't have just run off. I could have at least told you..."

She was silent for a good minute. I held my breath, tensing up a bit in the embrace as I waited for her response. "I understand why you didn't," she said quietly after a moment.

I slowly sat back on the bed and she reached over me for the bowl of soup on the nightstand. I hadn't touched it yet and she slowly began to try and feed me spoonfuls. It took me a few minutes of silence to process my thoughts enough to speak again. "I just spoke with Clara," I said softly. "She told me that she managed to turn on my phone so you could track me."

Isabelle nodded. "I'm very grateful that she did," she said solemnly. "I'd been searching for you day and night. I-" She hesitated a moment. "I was so afraid that I had failed you."

"Isabelle...you could never," I protested. "It was my decision...and I paid the consequences," I admitted.

"You never should have had to pay such a price. You were just trying to bring your sister home." She said firmly, grabbing my hand again.

I looked away. "She said I shouldn't have." I said, unable to mask the slight bitterness in my tone. "She said she'd gotten used to life with Tristan."

Isabelle squeezed my hand gently. "It's been years that she's been with the Vincenzos. It can't be easy for her to adjust. Have you heard of Stockholm Syndrome?"

I nodded silently, still not looking at her. "Worst of all it sounded like she meant what she said to me."

"She needs time. We will provide her with the necessary supports. She can go to therapy. I'll have a bodyguard with her. They won't get to her under our protection," Isabelle reassured me. "She's your sister and that means she's family to me too." I felt my heart flutter at this.

Then she reached for my chin, turning me to face her. She was looking more stern than I could ever recall. "As for you, Missy, you are not leaving my sight. I'll take time off work. If you're going to the washroom, I'll be right outside the door. When you feel well enough to return to classes, you'll stay with Marcel at all times."

"I want to go back tomorrow," I said without missing a beat.

Her eyes widened at me. "Arielle-"

"I have to," I insisted before admitting in a quiet tone, "I promised myself that I wouldn't let what happened to my sister prevent me from living my life. I can't miss anymore classes. I need to pass this term and I need to catch up. Besides, it'll take my mind off things." I added the last part softly.

She let out a heavy sigh. "Arielle, I have my own classes to teach as well. I don't feel safe letting you out of my sight right now even if you are with Marcel. We should really give it some time for things to boil over."

I sighed. "Isabelle...I'll wear that wig and the makeup you told me to. I'll even wear coloured contacts if you want. I can't stay in hiding. That's not me."

Isabelle went silent again before muttering something under her breath that sounded suspiciously like "stubborn brat".

I chose to ignore this. "I want to see Chase. There are...some things I need to ask him," I added after a moment. "And my parents."

Isabelle glanced at me again. "I had a feeling you would say that." She stood up. "I called Chase Evans in case you wanted to see him. He's downstairs. I didn't call your parents because I didn't think you would appreciate the heart attacks they would suffer. I'll go bring him up."