Chapter 20

7k reads - I'm so proud of my baby😭

———————————————————————————

Arielle

He turned back to gaze at me with likely what was the blankest expression he could muster. "Be careful with what accusations you make around here."

I raised an eyebrow. "Accusations? I was just asking a question."

"Nothing good ever came from excessive curiosity. I don't know Vaughn. Conversation over."

"Does the name Chase Evans ring a bell?" I said quietly without looking at him. I knew that I was taking a risk here, but I had to know. Is he wasn't who I was looking for, I could just make something up.

There was silence for a moment until I heard his footsteps approach me. I finally looked up to see Jason watching me intently with a hard expression. "You're treading on very dangerous grounds here." He finally said.

"Maybe, but maybe not." I shrugged. "My gut feeling is telling me that you know more than you're letting on."

"Tell Chase to keep his nose out of places that it doesn't belong in."

"What is your relationship with him?"

"Nothing."

"You're Vaughn." We both glared at each other very intently for a moment.

He didn't deny my statement this time. "What are you hoping to get from this exchange? Does he have you doing his dirty work for him now? That's low, even for him."

"I have no idea what you mean. In order for me to be helping him, that would require him to actually tell me something about his personal life." I said the last part in a sarcastic tone.

Jason let out a low laugh in amusement. "That sounds like Chase. You asking about him though makes me think you've made some sort of deal with him. You might want to reconsider."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

He looked disinterested for a moment before replying. "Just that the Chase I knew was a selfish as*hole."

"Wait," I stopped him again before he could leave. "I'm not here for Chase. I wanted to know if you knew of a guy, Flynn Conner."

His expression turned deadly. "If you're here for that bastard-"

"I know what he did." I interrupted. "I hate him more than anyone else in the Black Phoenix."

"I seriously doubt that."

"How long have you been with the Black Phoenix?" I asked.

"Long enough."

"Did Flynn's girl ever come here with him?" It nauseated me to refer to Clara in such terms, but I highly doubted that he would know her by name.

His response made me see red. "Which one?"

"He brought multiple girls here?!"

It was his turn to frown at me. "Who are you, an ex seeking revenge?"

"I wouldn't date that manipulative bastard if you held a gun to my head." I snarled.

His eyes widened before he chuckled. "I like you, kid." I took a deep breath to calm myself down. "So which girl are you talking about?"

I eyed him for a moment before deciding that I had nothing to lose by giving him a name. "Clara Reagan."

His facial expression changed to one of slight confusion. "Do you have a description?"