Chapter 45

*TRIGGER WARNING - Rape. The actual act is not described in detail, but the events beforehand are heavily disturbing

—————————————————————————

Arielle

Tristan dragged me up the entire flight of stairs, my feet scrambling to keep up. It was difficult to maintain my balance with his hand wrapped around my neck. I tried my best to tune out my sister's cries of protest behind us. It wouldn't do me any good at this point.

I was pulled down the same corridor forcefully, my body roughly slamming into the walls along the way. We passed the room that we were in last time and walked all the way to the very end. Tristan reached behind the tapestry and shifted something, causing the wall to slide open.

The natural light nearly blinded me after so long in the basement. I could vaguely see Clara scrambling to follow us as Tristan yanked me through the gap. We were in the visible part of the safe house. From here, I noticed that if the gap was closed, it would be virtually impossible to guess that there was a hidden corridor and dungeon behind it.

I was pulled all the way to the second last door on the right side of the hall before being dragged in and unceremoniously flung onto the floor roughly. I landed hard on my side, my eyes tearing up from the pain that shot through my rib cage.

Tristan stepped in and slammed the door shut in my sister's face as she attempted to follow us in. I forced myself to look up at the bastard, trying to hide the pain I felt. He slowly crouched down over me, reaching for my collar. "Tell me what you've done."

I narrows my eyes at him. "Nothing. Do you really think that I would have any contact with the Versailleses while locked up in your dungeon?" I scoffed. "What little you think of your security measures."

A harsh slap was delivered over my face. Then another. The third was forceful enough to make my head slam against the ground. The room spun for a few seconds and I felt like I was going to vomit.

"I know you told that little b*tch something. Either you....or your sister."

My heart stopped for a second. "Don't you dare bring Clara into this. You know she had nothing to do with it. She's completely under your spell." I spat at him.

"Are you taking responsibility then?" He glared at me and I stopped speaking. "Tell me!" He slammed my head against the floor purposely this time and my eyes snapped shut from the searing pain that shot up my neck.

I couldn't say anything. I didn't want to implement my sister and I didn't want to accidentally say anything that would put Isabelle at risk. Tristan had several safe houses that I knew of, and likely more that I didn't know of. I wasn't sure which was attacked or how Isabelle was tipped off, but I wasn't about to do Tristan Vincenzo any favours.

Tristan shoved me roughly and got to his feet, purposely kicking my ribs. I coughed in pain and closed my eyes. Seconds later, he was crouched over me again with a knife to my face. I felt the metal first before opening my eyes and seeing it pressed against my cheek.

Despite my stubborn expression, I was terrified. Previously when I had had a knife held to my neck, something had told me that Isabelle wouldn't actually kill me despite what little I knew about her. Now, I was very possibly staring death in the face and every instinct in my body wanted to get away.

I couldn't escape. I wouldn't get far and I didn't want to give Tristan any more reason to knife me. The blade pressed harshly against my cheek, drawing a thin streak of blood. I winced, but didn't give any other reaction.

"You look quite lovely when you bleed. Reminds me of Kate." I went rigid before throwing myself at him. There was a small struggle, but seconds late the knife was now pressed against my throat.