Chapter 40

Arielle

In the mess that followed the meeting, I hadn't found the opportunity to ask Isabelle about what was discussed. It was currently the week of semester break, meaning that we didn't have any classes, but we still had some assignments that were due. The good thing about this was that we didn't have to be on campus. Isabelle had decided to stay at her father's estate and I didn't mind at all, mostly because the tension was gone and I did feel like it was safer here. Even better was that Francis hadn't been hanging around lately and making me uncomfortable.

Each morning when I woke up at approximately 9am, I would be alone in bed. Isabelle would already be in her office which was just adjacent to the bedroom. The estate had maids, so I wouldn't need to prepare breakfast, but I would insist on bringing it upstairs for Isabelle. Whenever I went into her office, she would be bent over a pile of papers. I didn't know if she was marking papers, handling stuff for her father, or something else. The few times I did casually bring up Clara, her eyes would soften and she reassured me that she was working on it.

Today was Wednesday, halfway through our week off. Isabelle was busy as usual and I didn't want to be a nuisance. Despite that, I was starting to get antsy and didn't know how much longer I could hang around the estate. I hadn't left the estate alone since that night, and I didn't want to bug Isabelle about taking me out when she was obviously so busy.

I decided to visit the estate library to kill some time when I felt my cellphone start to buzz in my pocket. I pulled it out and glanced at it. There was a message from Celine.

Ari, meeting at Chase's house. Do you want to call in?

I hesitated for a moment before sending her a response.

No, I'll be there.

Celine didn't question me. She rarely did. However, there was a call to my phone within minutes.

"Hello?"

"Arielle, are you sure it's alright for you to come out here?" Chase's voice, on the other end of the line, was laced with concern.

"Yeah, it's fine." I said. "I'll just put on my get up. I've been walking around on campus that way anyways." I pointed out.

"Do you want me to send a driver?"

I sighed and gave in. "Sure, but I'll wait outside. It'll probably be a pain to get through security at the front gates." If I was going to sneak out, I might as well do it as safely as possible so that Isabelle wouldn't completely kill me upon my return.

"Alright, I'll have someone over in 10." Chase said before hanging up. I went upstairs to start getting ready.

I had started to get the hang of putting my wig on and making it look real without Isabelle's help. I even styled it like I would with my actual hair. I put on a simple dress shirt and a skirt before starting with my make up. Aside from the disguise, I had also gotten good at putting on a completely different personality while wearing it. I was able to finish all of this in 10 minutes and I hurried downstairs. I thought about my plan to get through security at the front gates, but technically Isabelle hadn't said anything to them about me not being allowed out, so perhaps I would be able to leave the premises with no issues.

When I reached the front gate, I noticed Marcel standing there. I walked up to him curiously. "How come you're out here?" He glanced at me, used to seeing me in my get-up by now.

"It's my day to patrol and guard the gates."

"I thought you were Isabelle's personal bodyguard?" I said in confusion.

At this, he chuckled in amusement. "Mademoiselle would not do well with having a bodyguard. She has always been very independent."

I nodded slowly. "Can you let me out?" I asked, glancing at the gate and my watch.